Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 You'll NEVER Convince Me........ >

You'll NEVER Convince Me........

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

You'll NEVER Convince Me........

Old 06-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You'll NEVER Convince Me........

What is even more amazine is that a traditional archer is looking at a crossbow link.

You are not a closet crossbow shooter are you.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Anyone who's seen my post about crossbows, on this thread or any other, knows I've NEVER argued that crossbows are "bad". My point has always been that they don't belong in the regular archery season. My concern is that, when the market allows, there will be a lot more money poured into developing the "best". I don't consider even a medeval x-bow to be "just a bow", but that's my opinion.

The problem is, if they are allowed into the general archery season they won't be restricted to medevial types--you'll see a lot more of the AR-15 types and whatever follows those. Next thing you know, you have to wear 500 sq inches of blaze orange because these things will shoot way past 50 yds and sometimes there are stupid people that go into the woods pretending to be hunters.

I don't think it was even a year ago when we had a big debate on this board about x-bows, and one of my main arguments was not what x-bows are, but what they have the potential to become. That link seems to prove I was correct.

FWIW, I saw that link on a different board. I have shot x-bows at targets before, and would again if the opportunity arises--it's fun for a little while, then the novelty wears off. I've never owned one, but I wouldn't feel like I'd betrayed the sport if I did--I just wouldn't use it during archery season, if I used it to hunt with at all. If my goal is to make getting meat easier, I have rifle season.

I'd like to have one of those in the link, but no way I'd pay what it costs.

Chad
Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Banned

at one time, everyone was against compounds, they were the devils spawn

compounds ARE bowhunting right now and what was archery is now retermed "traditional"

in the future, crossbows will rule the archery landscape, with all other bows simply an afterthought of choice

Old 06-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

What is even more amazine is that a traditional archer is looking at a crossbow link.

You are not a closet crossbow shooter are you.
I don't own a Crossbow but I shoot Recurves and Compounds.
I shoot customBowman Accu-Riser compounds for NFAA Spots.
They are the finest the world has ever seen.
I prefer Dale Dye recurves.
I love all bows and what is your version of Traditional ?
Crossbows have been around for thousands of years; that's pretty "Traditional" in my book.
Robin Allen is agreat guyand his crossbows are superb.
I would own one but can't really afford it.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Sagittarius

I love all bows and what is your version of Traditional ?
Crossbows have been around for thousands of years; that's pretty "Traditional" in my book.
HOnestly man, I mean no disrespect, but if you have to ask if the crossbow in question is not traditional, I don't think it could ever been explained.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

None taken, bigcountry.
I assumed the statement "traditional archer" was meant because the author thought Crossbows were non traditional but I can't read minds.
"Traditional" is how it is perceived byeach individual or what they believe it to be as told by others.
Must a modern custom Recurve or Longbow made of modern man made materials be anymore traditional than a custom Crossbow made by Robin Allen ?
Or is it the mere design one considers traditional ?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Sagittarius

None taken, bigcountry.
I assumed the statement "traditional archer" was meant because the author thought Crossbows were non traditional but I can't read minds.
"Traditional" is how it is perceived byeach individual or what they believe it to be as told by others.
Must a modern custom Recurve or Longbow made of modern man made materials be anymore traditional than a custom Crossbow made by Robin Allen ?
Or is it the mere design one considers traditional ?
Its different for everyone. I myself find an osage selfbow traditional. And with a linen string, just as good as B50. I even find a composite horn bow put together with hide glue traditional. I just put together a bamboo/IPE bow that is every bit as fast as my fiberglass longbows.