Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Bails goes Trad with a Kanga >

Bails goes Trad with a Kanga

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Bails goes Trad with a Kanga

Old 05-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bails goes Trad with a Kanga

Well my Kanga Custom Bows " Bogan " is finally here and what a beautiful bow it is , already my arms are getting stronger ( muscles were shakin on day 1 trying to hold her back ) . I find myself picking spots and missing them , instead of practicing on form . Can this lead to bad habits or will this settle me into a form ?. 10yd shots after a bit of practice

Old 05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bails goes Trad with a Kanga

Feel free to comment on my " form " , as i am always willing to learn anything that will improve my shooting .

Russ she is an absolute beauty mate , thank you so much .
Old 05-02-2009, 06:37 PM
bigcountry

Looking sharp man. Looks like the roo did you right.

Hey where you at in UK? I go there about twice a year. Mostly stay in London and redding. But head up to Ipswitch to the BT offices on occasion.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Mark , thanks for the comment

I'm From Biddulph , Stoke on Trent , near the cheshire border . My friend works for BT in my area , let me know when you're over next time . We have good beer around here , so you could try one or two with me .
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Dave, looks like you almost sh** your pants a few times !!!
Man, I just set my longbow's braceheight to 6" and I'm pulling 60#.
I won the bow at a fantasy and medeival fair. When I drew the bow back at their stand, I told the guy I shoot compound and he replied, " ah, yes, those sissy bows"
I drew back and he looked at my ass and then called to his partner, "ok, looks like he didn't crap his pants this one."
this is their website, they visit UK a lot as well and they have a UK based shop as well.
I might consider building one myself at one of their DIY courses.

Frank
Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

sorry, here the link;

www.fairbow.nl
Old 05-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Frank , its not as easy as it looks is it . I'm putting the shooting time in , but its hard work ...... still love it tho
Old 05-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Banned

Its my opinion that traditional instinctive shooting is an adjustable shooting style.

By this I mean you can contort your body, half draw, snap shoot, hold and shoot ........... your body/mind will just know how to make the arrow go where you want it to.

Michael Jordan could make ridiculous shots after being bumped, or adjusting in mid-air to a defender, even switching to the left hand and still making the ball go where he wanted it to go.

I watched a Fred Bear mule deer shot and I swear he half-drew and still center punched it.

Form also IMO is doing to same shot over and over. Shoot the same way over and over and your arrows will go the same over and over - and it don't matter if you target shoot or squat-n-shoot Asbell style.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's hard to tell much from one photo. I suggest "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III" (I and II are entertaining, but III has the meat-n-taters). Two world champion archers give great, easy to follow instruction on what has worked for them in world competition and hunting (both are avid hunters as well as target shooters).

One of my best friends, who passed away almost two years ago, had the most unorthodoxed "form" (if you could call it that), but he was one heck ofa shot--he was the exception to the rule. Howard Hill is quoted as saying "I've seen a lot of instinctive shooters, but I've never seen a good one". I wouldn't go quite that far with it, but I am comfortable saying that these folks are the exception, not the rule. One of the Wilhiem brothers could make amazing shots from the hip. Ben Pearson could stack arrows in a pie plate from 100 yds. Fred Bear made some amazing shots (and, if you read his book "Fred Bear's Field Notes", he made some really crappy ones also). Not everyone is Ben Pearson, or Fred Bear, or Michael Jordan.

Can this lead to bad habits or will this settle me into a form ?. 10yd shots after a bit of practice
In my experience, it will lead to bad habits that are very hard to break. I'd work on form first.

Dang pretty bow you have there!

Chad

Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Chad , Russ did a fantastic job on her and am really proud of the work he has done . I do have the Masters of the Barebow 3 and have watched it 4 times already , i've taken certain things into my form now and have to practice on that .
I originally shot split , but after watching Rod and Denny i tried 3 under and prefer the feel i get from the draw . I also anchor on my eye tooth ( Larry Yien ) .

Everybody
How do i know if i have a form issue or a tuning issue ? , i can put three arrows in a 4" group and then the next 2 or 3 may go wide or high .
Also where do you place the cock vane up , 90 degree out or 90 degree in to the shelf ? . i'm using 3 x 4" shield cut .

Quick Reply: Bails goes Trad with a Kanga

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.