Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Counting the Days...... >

Counting the Days......

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Counting the Days......

Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Counting the Days......

Leaving Thursday for the TN Classic at Twin Oaks--whoo-hoo!

Been a bad year for tournaments for me--normally by now I'd have shot in a half dozen or more, including at least one or two big ones....but I've only shot in one this year, and did pretty lousy at that. Too many things going on around the house this year.....

Not sure if I'll compete, or just go for the socializing--either way I know it will be a blast. This is one of the best there is--if you go once, you will be back.

Chad
Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Counting the Days......

I was wanting to get down there this year and meet ya, but ain't happening with work. I also took off a day or two for the Balt trad classic. Its a rather large one.

Hopefully, I can make it to Denton Hill and hang with JimPic.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have a safe journey and good luck!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chad

Drive safe and have a ton of fun.

It's a pity Tenn is a long way from here I would love to go to it one day.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

I'll see you there, Chad. Avery and I will be up on Sat. morning. Plane on camping the night and leaving Sunday.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

So........ tell us about it. Please......
Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ttt
Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It was GREAT! Along with the usual selbow building and flint knapping, there was a fellow there (can't remember his name for the life of me--sorry) who did a demonstration (and helped several others make their own) of some sort of bamboo backed bow and rather than use a form he used twine and wedges to shape it into a kind or horse bow--very cool!

Down side was it rained--a LOT. I don't like shooting in the rain anymore. I got out and shot B side, and honestly made a mess of it. I blew the first two shots, and went downhill from there--I know better, but I let it get me. After that, I decided I wasn't there to get aggravated, I was there to have fun, so I put the bow up and just socialized. It was extra frustrating because I'd shot pretty well on a novelty shoot and on the practice butts.....oh well. First time I haven't competed since I started going several years ago, but no biggie--been lucky enough to bring home a few novelty prizes and 4 trophies in the past, so I have my souvineers.

Gary Davis was there to help with selfbow instruction, as well as the owner of the Twin Oaks property (Mark Baggett--featured in Primitive Archer many times for his selfbows) and several other accomplished selfbowyers, several good flint knappers, several very good muscians for after-hours........

I've been to a lot of great shoots--the old Howard Hill, the new Howard Hill, Cloverdale, Denton Hill, the TX State Longbow Championship, the GA and AL state championships, the Jerry Pierce, and many others......some are running a close second, but the TN Classic at Twin Oaks is still my favorite.

Chad
Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 AM
bigcountry

How did the selfbow competition go? I heard they were having a race of some sort, to build a bow and compete with it on the last day?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I was wanting to get down there this year and meet ya, but ain't happening with work. I also took off a day or two for the Balt trad classic. Its a rather large one.

Hopefully, I can make it to Denton Hill and hang with JimPic.
Sounds like a great time,LBR!

BC...I'll be at there Friday and Sat. Denton Hill-I wouldn't miss it for anything

Quick Reply: Counting the Days......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.