Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I gave my recurve a make over. >

I gave my recurve a make over.

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I gave my recurve a make over.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I gave my recurve a make over.

This sure Isn't no build along but I'll bet It's the closest I ever get to one. I'll leave that stuff for the pro's (Kanga and Burnie).

I had some limb trouble on my top limb of my recurve this last fall so I thought I'd try and tackle It myself and see what happens. I lost 12lbs In draw weight from a year ago, not sure exactly why that happened yet. I did find some splinters coming off of my top limb, the tiny splinters were about an 1/8" deep by 1/8" wide about 9" long on the outside edge of my limb. I'm not sure If the lost weight and the splinters have something In common, who knows. Being It's a take down I took It apart and separated the riser and the limbs. I then used some epoxy that Kanga and Burnie recommended to me and put that where it's splintering. I also found a spot on my limb tip where the fiberglass backing Is coming apart slightly, I also hit that up with epoxy as well. It took me about 2 weeks of on and off work to get It done. The spot that had the limb splinters turned out excellent, I surprised myself there and did a good job I think. Back 14 years ago when I got this recurve brand new I painted up the bow being I didn't like the brown non see through fiberglass on the limbs. So I sanded the riser free of paint and old finish and stripped all of the paint off of the limbs with paint stripper. Russ (Kanga) gave me some good Info on what to use for a finish so I took his word for It and picked some up (Minwax Antique Oil Finish). The riser actually had some pretty wood beneath all of that paint so I wanted to leave It that way. I still didn't like the looks of the brown fiberglass limbs so I asked around on what a person can do to class up my limbs. My bud Zach came through for me there and told me to check out Onestringer being he said they had some limb wraps. I'm sure glad Zach pointed me In the right direction!! After I got the string on It I noticed a very small twist in the top limb, bummed me right out! I shot a good 100 arrows out of her today and the small tiny twist Is almost gone, what a relief that was. All In all I'm pretty happy on how she turned out.

Thank you all very much- Russ, Kent, Robert, Joe, Zach and everyone else, you guys have no Idea on how much I appreciated the help.

Here's a bunch of pics from the beginning till the end.

My bow before I started on It.

Here you can see where the splinters were coming off of on the limb (right side of the limb on the outer edge).

Here's where the fiberglass backing Is separating slightly on the limb tip, hard to see.

Here's what she looks like now with no camo on It. I sanded my ass off on that riser!!

The 1st coat of Minwax on my riser

Everything Is pretty much done here. Just waiting for my limb wraps and preping the shelf.

And now the finished product. My limb wraps came In a day early.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I gave my recurve a make over.

Steve.

Ya done good mate.

There is a huge difference between the before and after pics.

She's now a beautiful swan instead of the ugly duckling
Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Looks great Steve.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

She's now a beautiful swan instead of the ugly duckling
Lol!!

Thanks guys!!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 AM
bigcountry

Holy cow, thats a fine job. Nice looking wood under that paint.

I understand your attachment. That bow has done good for ya.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Mark!!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Nice job. Looks good.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Spike

That's nice. I really like the limbs.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:42 AM

She looks great Mr. Steve, great.

Quick Reply: I gave my recurve a make over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.