Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I think everyone should be overbowed >

I think everyone should be overbowed

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I think everyone should be overbowed

Old 03-31-2009, 06:43 AM
bigcountry

Default I think everyone should be overbowed

Hear me out. I have a bunch of bows these days. Most selfbows are 45-55lbs. I have a 50lb martin savannah (my first and favorite), a 58lb zipper, a 66lb black widow, an old 36lb colt recurve. Now, I shoot all these bows some of the time. I give the zipper the most attention. I shoot my savannah the best.

So here's my case. After I get done shooting my 66lb widow about 15-20 shots, I am done with that beast. I tend to short draw the bow in the stand so I have to have a clicker. And get tired easy. I have to use an extra thick tab, because the little D97 string seems to cut into my finger at full draw. Even though I shoot it well, and its a great bow, I would say I am overbowed. Good news is I always have a clean release with this bow.

But here's the beauty of it. After I get done shooting this bow, everything else seems effortless. I feel like I have complete control of my my martin. I come to full draw every time, conscience thought of my release. My bow hand is very loose, no torquing. Same with my zipper.

I don't know, maybe it makes me stronger. Maybe its making me more conscience of my form.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I think everyone should be overbowed

I think it's building strength, which gives you confidence

Like when someone is starting out, everyone recommends they get a low poundage bow, so they can learn good form. Most people are strong enough to handle a 30-40# bow. Get stronger, and you have the same ability with a 40-50# bow, etc.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure it will make you strong. Don't forget about the other way also. Personally, I can get my form more perfect with a lighter bow (30 pounder). After I get the form burnt in I go to the heavier bow.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I'm sure it will make you strong. Don't forget about the other way also. Personally, I can get my form more perfect with a lighter bow (30 pounder). After I get the form burnt in I go to the heavier bow.
Sometimes I notice shooting my light recurve, I almost have too much control if that makes sense. Especially on my release. I like shooting them all. I do believe the heavy longbow kinda keeps my muscles in check and conditions them.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I know what you mean. Most of my bows are in the 60lb area. I do have two bows that are 55lbs. I shoot my bigger bows and then go down to the 55 ers and they seem rather easy to shoot.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:56 AM
Banned

if I were you I'd sell that Zipper to someone and be done with it
Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

if I were you I'd sell that Zipper to someone and be done with it
Zipper didn't have good mojo last year. She didn't bring me any luck.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

sell the damn thing to me and I'll hate it as much as you do
Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

sell the damn thing to me and I'll hate it as much as you do
Thought you wanted thier new riser.

I am saving up for a elk riser. I talked to Tracy from zippers the other day and they will be at the balt trad classic. I get to try out one of their new risers.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

wanting and getting are two very different things aren't they ?

a Zipper fan I've become though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.