Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Denatured alcohol to Degrease wood >

Denatured alcohol to Degrease wood

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Denatured alcohol to Degrease wood

Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 AM
bigcountry

Default Denatured alcohol to Degrease wood

Well, I am not too cheap to buy acetone. But I have tons of chemicals I would like to use up. Will denatured alcohol or mineral spirts, or even turpentine degrease IPE or osage for glue up?

One guy said hardwood ash and water works the best.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Denatured alcohol to Degrease wood

For some reason I'm thinking cleaning carbon shafts with denatured alcohol before fletching wasn't recommended because it leaves a greasy residue?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

I have always used denatured alcohol to clean aluminum and carbon shafts without any adhesive problems. I believe that Carbon Express recommends using it to clean their shafts. I had little experience with wooden shafts I was told acetone, denatured alcohol and a list of other things. I finally used a degreasing soap and hot water to clean and rinse then let them air dry. It worked well for me.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: NITEHAWKJS

I have always used denatured alcohol to clean aluminum and carbon shafts without any adhesive problems. I believe that Carbon Express recommends using it to clean their shafts. I had little experience with wooden shafts I was told acetone, denatured alcohol and a list of other things. I finally used a degreasing soap and hot water to clean and rinse then let them air dry. It worked well for me.
Thats the reason I bought the stuff in the first place a few years ago. I had trouble getting the old school fletch glue to work. I ended up just jumping over to the "super glues" for carbon fletching.

I ended up buying acetone. I don't want to do all this work mating up my bamboo to my IPE and have it come apart.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ended up buying acetone. I don't want to do all this work mating up my bamboo to my IPE and have it come apart.
Mark

Good move, I do know that turps is oil based so you would actually be putting oil back into the wood.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Mark

Good move, I do know that turps is oil based so you would actually be putting oil back into the wood.
Russ, why can't you move closer so I can borrow your heat box and use URAC instead of TBIII.

I know building a heat box is a quick thing. I feel like all I do is build tools so I can build bows. I make a tiller stick, I make a tiller tree, I make a form. Now I need a heat box.[:-]

Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Russ, why can't you move closer so I can borrow your heat box and use URAC instead of TBIII.
Mark.

Nah gets too cold up there for me mate and too much white stuff on the ground

I ordered a gallong of Aeromarine 400/11 lastFriday,you could have borrowed some of that as well
Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Mark

I know building a heat box is a quick thing. I feel like all I do is build tools so I can build bows. I make a tiller stick, I make a tiller tree, I make a form. Now I need a heat box.[:-]
Aceton all the way. By the way, why would you want to use Urac 185 over titebond III. Once I used titebond III, I will never use Urach 185 agian. Epoxy is way more messy than titebond, and Ive had better results with it as well. All my wood to wood applications get titebond over urac.

Make a heat box. Real easy to do. You can make a real cheap one with foam insulation and three lights. Just tape the insulation into a box, big enough to place your form in. Put your lights on the bottom and you got it. Looks like a big foam cooler. If you need it hotter, place a blanket over it. If you need it cooler, crack the top. Ive made a complete oven, this way, under 20 bucks. Ive also made them with stove pipe and a heat gun. Ive even baked bows in a car with the windows up, and parked in the sun on a hot day. Get creative and you can figure out some easy ways to bake a bow.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Mark

Aceton all the way. By the way, why would you want to use Urac 185 over titebond III. Once I used titebond III, I will never use Urach 185 agian. Epoxy is way more messy than titebond, and Ive had better results with it as well. All my wood to wood applications get titebond over urac.

Make a heat box. Real easy to do. You can make a real cheap one with foam insulation and three lights. Just tape the insulation into a box, big enough to place your form in. Put your lights on the bottom and you got it. Looks like a big foam cooler. If you need it hotter, place a blanket over it. If you need it cooler, crack the top. Ive made a complete oven, this way, under 20 bucks. Ive also made them with stove pipe and a heat gun. Ive even baked bows in a car with the windows up, and parked in the sun on a hot day. Get creative and you can figure out some easy ways to bake a bow.
Well, I only need the heat box for Epoxy glue ups. I am just having some trouble getting real good mating with things. And know that TBIII isn't gap filling at all.

Other than that, I figured a heat box would be handy for making hickory bows and keeping em dry. Drying out my boo. Other than that, not sure if need it.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Mark

Well, I only need the heat box for Epoxy glue ups. I am just having some trouble getting real good mating with things. And know that TBIII isn't gap filling at all.
Well, that would be a good reason.

Quick Reply: Denatured alcohol to Degrease wood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.