HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   need some help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/289091-need-some-help.html)

sabreshooter2 03-12-2009 07:56 PM

need some help

ok so i got a friend that got this recurve at a yard sale cause she thought it was cool and doesn't even use it so she was gonna sell it to me... it is a york archery super crest... its the 66" model. it says it is 30#... i have a draw length of 28" would the draw weight only be 30# for that length? i was thinkin about usin this bow as just a target bow and maybe a bowfishing bow. My friend was gonna sell it to me for $25... should i buy it or is it just not really worth it? as you can probably tell i dont know about traditional stuff, im more of a compound guy, but i thought i might give it a chance..... so let me know what yall think...

JT

Kanga 03-13-2009 01:05 AM

RE: need some help

It's probably going to be 30lb @ 28"

But you say your a compound guy with a 28" draw.

If you draw a compound 28" you will only have a 27"-26.5" trad draw lenght.

Most people will loose from 1" to 2" switching from wheels to trad.

ZachCL 03-13-2009 04:35 AM

And (kanga correct me if I am wrong) you will lose about 3 lbs. draw weight per inch of draw lenght below 28" and vice versa for above 28"

Kanga 03-13-2009 05:59 AM

ORIGINAL: ZachCL

And (kanga correct me if I am wrong) you will lose about 3 lbs. draw weight per inch of draw lenght below 28" and vice versa for above 28"

Zach.

That is correct 3 to 4lbs

ZachCL 03-13-2009 06:04 AM

Im learnin Russ Im learnin.

BobCo19-65 03-13-2009 07:57 AM

To determine the amount of poundage to add or subtract per inch, take the bows draw weight at 28" and divide by 20.

sabreshooter2 03-13-2009 09:19 AM

thanks for the info guys.... so is there any way that i could up the poundage...? im guessing no but i thought i would ask anyways. so do you guys think i should get it if im just gonna be shooting it for fun? im not gonna really be hunting with it so i dont really need a high poundage but it would be nice...

Thanks
JT

BobCo19-65 03-13-2009 10:07 AM

To tell you the truth, if you are just beginning trad, and you do not expect to hunt with it this year, your bow will be the perfect weight. I often still practice with a 30 pound bow and love it.

You'll find that there are a few things you can do to improve performance like shortening the brace height, but in doing so you will also invite other less favorable things into the picture.

Kanga 03-13-2009 10:23 AM

To tell you the truth, if you are just beginning trad, and you do not expect to hunt with it this year, your bow will be the perfect weight.
Ditto

sabreshooter2 03-13-2009 02:50 PM

so im guessin you guys are sayin to get it??? is it worth the $25???