Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Magic Bow?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Magic Bow?

Saw this on a different site.

"for every inch of draw length over 28" add about 10lbs to the draw weight to estimate your speed equivilent."

If I read this right, with my draw length (30.5" to 32", depending on the riser style) I should be getting speed equivelent to bows pulling 25# to 40# heavier--right? So, with me pulling [email protected], I should be getting about the same speed as someone pulling 91@28 (shooting my arrow).

Has anyone here EVER experienced this? I sure haven't--not even close. That would put me at the speed equivelent of about 6.5 grains per lb, which should put me well over 200 fps (a friend shooting the same bow got as much as 232 fps with just under 6 gpp--avg'd 227 with a 29" draw). I average 187 fps. Looks to me like someone miscopied some info.?

Chad

Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Magic Bow?

That is a magic bow.

Or it might be written from someone who really does not know what they are talking about.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

the bow musta bin one o mine

Or it might be written from someone who really does not know what they are talking about.
I think Bob just nailed it
Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hah?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 AM

Even if it were true, in real life it doesn't tend to work that way. You really can't shoot the same arrow from a bow with a 4" longer draw. Also, longer arrows have to be stiffer, and usually heavier and slower.

It also doesn't account for differing power strokes from brace heights being different. Is there that much difference in arrow speed from a guy drawing 28" with a 7" brace compared to a guy drawing 30" with a 9" brace, where the peak draw weight is the same?

I would say that the potential for an equivalent speed would be there is the longer draw person, could shoot the same weight arrow accurately (or didn't care about accuracy or penetration).
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I can see a flaw in that math. Bow design has a lot to do with it. What I mean; I can make a flat bow that pulls say 50lbs. I can then take that same bow and relex the tips. I can add about 10lbs to the draw. Reason, it causes the bow to stack different than it did when it was flat. Samereason recurves stake by about 2more lbs per inch than a longbow. Also, If I tiller a bow to stack out at a given draw lenght, it will stack a lot more beyond that point.In comparison to a bow tillerd to, say 28 " and a shooter shooting 26". It will stack much less per inch than if I had tillered it to 26 " at a given weight.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I just finished tillering a 50lb @ 28"bow, with lots of reflex, that will shotas fast, if not faster, thananother bow I just built tilleredat 58lbs at 28".
Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

"for every inch of draw length over 28" add about 10lbs to the draw weight to estimate your speed equivilent."
Longer arrows are heavier just because of the extra inches. And they have to be stiffer, which also adds weight. That's why so many of us long draw shooters went to overdraws on compounds in the 80's; to shoot shorter, lighter arrows and bump up speed. The statement is not technically wrong. It's just not generally correct.

Or something like that.[8D]

Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

What it seems to be saying is: A bow that is pulling 50@31 will actually shoot as fast asthe samebow pulling 80@28,assuming you can use the same weight arrow for both.

I think it's a big steaming load of crap.

Chad
Old 02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Well, some jughead has actually owned up to saying that-in his BOOK on how to shoot, no less! Oh well........

Ya'll have a great weekend. I'm leaving early in the am for the first leg of the IBO Southern Triple Crown.

Chad

Quick Reply: Magic Bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.