Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Wild Turkey Feathers

Old 04-18-2003, 10:02 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Wild Turkey Feathers

How many of you use them? I try to get the word out around here, but I always seem to run across guys that say " man, if I had just known, we threw out umpteem sets of wings this past season" (and I quietly get sick to my stomach[X(]). This year has been a good one though, and I probably have 200-300 feathers to send in to be ground.

Who do you prefer for this service? I am probably going to use Raven archery--at 20 cents a feather, it' s not too expensive--a whole lot less than I would charge to split and sand them by hand!

Finally, what is your favorite cap/crest with natural barred feathers? My favorites so far have been just a white cap with some simple black cresting. Plan on putting them on about a doz or so of the snakeskin capped arrows too.

Chad
Old 04-18-2003, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wild Turkey Feathers

So, do grouse have usable feathers?

RC
Old 04-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Chad, if everyone pulls through that have wings for me, I should be recieving about 12 wings in the mail in the near future. I was also looking at sending them to Raven to be ground. Hopefully I get a couple wings of my own this year with my first ever turkey tag.

Not sure on the favorite cresting combo yet, Im still experimenting. Hopefully I discover one that I really like.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:19 AM

I get about 20-30 wings a year (10-15 birds). I do it by hand - cutting the feathers, sanding them and then using a feather burner.

My favorite crown is white, with red/gold or copper/silver and black pin stripes. They really set off the natural feathers nicely.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:13 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Thanks! My favorite so far has been just a few black cresting bands--very simple, but accents the feathers nicely. I found out a friend has gathered up a bunch more wings for me--gonna' have a big boxful to send off to be ground.

Anyone else?

Chad
Old 04-24-2003, 06:49 AM

to Chad - Where do you send them ? I might do that will all the ones I am gettin gthis year. Thanks
Old 04-24-2003, 10:08 PM

If you send your feathers to Gateway in the Fall, they will ground them on halves for FREE!!!!!!

For example... You send them 200 primaries... 100 Left Wing and 100 Right Wing... If you want left wing, they grind ' em all, send you the left wing feathers and keep the rights for themselves... All for no cost to you!!

Now.. they will also grind ' em for a fee and even chop ' em, but I' ve never had them do that.

They have done a GREAT job for me in the past. Nothing like natural barred feathers!!

Gateway is the BEST!!! Give them a call!!

chad