Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Son's first bow

Old 02-01-2009, 05:46 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Son's first bow

Ok, she is about ready for testing. Here she is at 10" draw on the tiller stick. She is drawing 10lbs at 10". Still feels stiff for a little boy. I have changed my tillering from scrapers to a sander block since everything is so small.

Does anyone think my tips are too stiff? I plan also on adding some reflex to both tips.

It appears I have a hinge, but if you look at the bow unbraced, you will see where its just the way the limb lays. Here I show where the knot was, and I worked around it.

Here she is braced about 3"

Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Impressive Mark!!!!!!! Wow!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 PM
bigcountry

Thanks Schultzy I appreciate it.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:21 PM
bigcountry

Holy cow guys, I made up some 1816 arrows I had and cut em to 12" just playing around. And at 12", this thing ain't no freakin toy. It sure won't kill an animal, but would sure put an eye out and maybe worse. It stuck in my shooting bag believe it or not.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

If I were looking at this bow, with out you asking for comments, Id say it looks great. You did a good job. But since you asked, the only thing I can see (and this is being nit picky)is; If anything, the midlimb on the upper limb is a tad stiff. Not much, just looks like it is causeing you to have an extra 1/8" positive tiller at the tips. But for a kids bow, that doesnt matter one bit. I would not change it if it were me. Especially if I were close to my target weight. Looks good.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 AM
bigcountry

Thanks Kent. I switched over to a new style of tillering. I usually use scrapers, but used a sanding block. Seems to make it much more even than scraping.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Thanks Kent. I switched over to a new style of tillering. I usually use scrapers, but used a sanding block. Seems to make it much more even than scraping.
I tillered my last bow with just 45 grit sandpaper. I use scrapers when I have to remove lots of wood, then finish with a sanding block and 45 grit sandpaper. You are right, you can get unlevel with a scraper reall quick. When you use a scraper, be sure to look down your limbs for twist, every time you exercise the limbs/check tiller.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 AM

looking real good
Old 02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty Sweet, your boy is going to love it, I know mine would!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
bigcountry

Well, she broke. Another one down the drain. Broke about 8" from the tip on the top limb where I heat bent it. I tried to tiller one side real thin to make it bend back. But guess I learned another lesson. I need to go to bed to figure out what it was. But I am sure I did.

Quick Reply: Son's first bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.