Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Something just has to go wrong, hasn't it? >

Something just has to go wrong, hasn't it?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Something just has to go wrong, hasn't it?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Spike

Default Something just has to go wrong, hasn't it?

Well after onlyshooting my new bow for a week or so I couldn't even begin to tell you how many arrows Ive put through her and after much research I think Ive got it tuned really pretty well. Arrow flight seems really well, Ive shot it out to 35 yards and arrow flight seems really true. Shooting it came to me pretty instinctively and cant believe how well Ive adapted to it from only shooting a compound, now I cant say that I can drive tacks with it but I just can't get enough of it. I cant wait to take it hunting, feel like Ive got tons of confidence in it but I dont want to get it out to soon you know and end up wounding an animal. Our antlerless season ends at the end of january and plan on trying to take a doe or two and planned on using my compound but how unreasonable do you guys think it would be to take the recurve out?

Here it is I absolutley love it

and here is one of the groups I shot today at 22 yards

Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Something just has to go wrong, hasn't it?

To me that looks good enough, just don't be tempted to shoot from further than you feel comfortable with.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:15 PM
bigcountry

Confidense is everything. If you feel confident, go for it. Everybody has thier comfort level.

Mine is I need to be roving around my yard, at 12 differnt angles, and distances and get 11/12 arrows in a kill zone of a deer.

My advise is go on a 3d course, and shoot a round from less than 20 yards, don't use a range finder, and find out how you feel afterwards. Don't forget your close up shots.

If you hunting out of a stand, do that also.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with bc, go out a start roaming around, shooting from unknown distances, shooting from stands and every scenario you can think of, then you know if your ready or not. I think only you will know if your ready. Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Our antlerless season ends at the end of january and plan on trying to take a doe or two and planned on using my compound but how unreasonable do you guys think it would be to take the recurve out?
Confidence Is a huge thing In shooting any kind of bow but when It comes to shooting and hunting with a traditional bow It's a huge thing one really needs. If your feeling It, go for It! Maybe limit your self to 15 yards and under In this January deer hunt and not push yourself any farther then that for yardage for now. Get a deer or 2 at that range and get that confidence rolling even more. Whatever you decide to do good luck, It will be the most exciting bow hunting you will ever do I bet!!

What's the brand name of your bow? Nice looking take down recurve!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Banned

Thats a better group than most trad hunters can shoot to be honest .... but they also KNOW how to kill animals and take the shots they can make ... and 10 yards is much preferred to 22 yards and beyond IMO

Go hunting ...... you can have a 70 yard tack driving compound and wound/miss animals you know
Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Spike

Im looking forward to it, I love being on the ground up close and personal I don't know of anything more exciting. The sad thing is in all my other experiences I was "buck" hunting so I never took a shot at any of the does and feel this very well could bring me back to the basics of deer hunting.

Thanks it's a reflex nomad, I probably overpaid for my first bow and was after the looks as well but I couldnt be happier with it. Im definately gona go with a more traditional recurve or longbow for my next set up though, even if it is a ways down the road.