Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

beginning hog bow

Old 12-25-2008, 10:14 PM

Default beginning hog bow

New to the traditional bow hunting. I've been doing a lot of compound hunting for hog and now I want a new challenge to empress the guys I hunt with. I think a recurve would be better cause I have to stalk thru some thick woods, but i'm up for a long bow. I'm 5'9" and 210pds.I need a trad bow capable of taking down 250-300lb boar hogs. Can i get a decent bow for under $200? I have no prob pulling my 70# compound. what would you suggest for a suitable weapon. I've searched and found I need to use at least 500 grain arrows. Will alum be better or should I go carbon. Not really into the wood.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: beginning hog bow

duke, I'm probably not going to answer your question, but rather just give a little advice. If you are new to Trad, you really need to start with a lower or moderate pound bow. The reason is that you are going to use some different muscles then the compound. What you don't want to do is start heavy and develope some bad habits or form. Once you get the form down, then you can move to something heavier. I'd suggest getting something in the 40-45 pound range at your draw. You can expect to loose about an inch or so draw from the compound. And yes, you can get something in the $$$ range stated. Look for something used.

Carbons to me anyway are a bit finicky. Don't get me wrong, I still use them. But starting out, I'd say go with the aluminums.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:53 AM

Duke,,listen to Bob,you will need to start light and build your form,start close and work back,trad is NOT like shooting wheels I know been there done that. Shooting trad is a LEARNING experience,like walking or riding a bike .Take your TIME and do it RIGHT. you will enjoy it more in the long run,,I know I did and still do.Also check out some other sites and donot be afraid to ask questions,,welcome to the trad world.
David
Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Spike

Look at the Martin line of trad bows. Just bought an x150 50lbs@28in and love the bow its 60in long and shoots like a dream. You can get one for about 240.00 brand new. Carbon or aluminum both work great, but my experience tells me that aluminum are a little easier than carbon to get to fly. Word of caution I shot a 70lb compound for years and had all I could at first with a 50lb recurve. If I could have done it over I would have went with a 45lb bow. My wrists, elbow and back were a mess for days, I would have never thought that.45 poundsisall you willever need to kill a 300lb hog as long as your arrow and broadhead areput in the right spot.Good luck
scott