Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Building a selfbow--wood recommendations >

Building a selfbow--wood recommendations

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Building a selfbow--wood recommendations

Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Building a selfbow--wood recommendations

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I recommend a person starts with hickory. Might turn out a little sluggish, but it won't break very easily. It will teach you to tiller, and usually very easy to find staight staves with no twist. Once a person gets good with tillering a bow nice and even, move on to locust, or osage. I myself don't think i will build another yew bow.
That is what makes or breaks most people from building bows. Thats why I always suggest a nice easy wood to learn with, like hickory. Its heart breaking to seesaw tillering a nice peice of Osage to the point of no return and waste 60 bucks on the stave. Or if you cut it yourself, waste all the work and time to get a stave. Or even worst, have one snap while working on it.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

I recommend a person starts with hickory. Might turn out a little sluggish, but it won't break very easily. It will teach you to tiller, and usually very easy to find staight staves with no twist. Once a person gets good with tillering a bow nice and even, move on to locust, or osage. I myself don't think i will build another yew bow.
That is what makes or breaks most people from building bows. Thats why I always suggest a nice easy wood to learn with, like hickory. Its heart breaking to seesaw tillering a nice peice of Osage to the point of no return and waste 60 bucks on the stave. Or if you cut it yourself, waste all the work and time to get a stave. Or even worst, have one snap while working on it.
Yep, I still don't have an eye for tillering. I have to use gadgets and take pictures and put on the computer. I need to make me a backboard with some lines.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Yep, I still don't have an eye for tillering. I have to use gadgets and take pictures and put on the computer. I need to make me a backboard with some lines.
When I make recurves, I need cheat marks on my limb. I need to make me a grid board, it would be much easier than to measure tiller on my cheat marks.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

After reading this next time I cut osage for Burnie he is going with me! Talking about ring countand the like went right over my head...I will drive he can cut his own osage...I'l supervise and drink beer!Now makes me wonder about my last find if it has use,guess not all osage is created equal.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

After reading this next time I cut osage for Burnie he is going with me! Talking about ring countand the like went right over my head...I will drive he can cut his own osage...I'l supervise and drink beer!Now makes me wonder about my last find if it has use,guess not all osage is created equal.
Give me the keys, ill drive. After the holidays, im going to cut the first set of logs you got, into slats. The rings on them were too close to make selfbows from. Also, got to see if I can work around the ant holes. The last set of logs, look real good. When i split them, there looks like a few will work good for staves.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Burnie, thanks for the updated info. Like I said, I've not yet built my first bow, so your personal experience and observations are very helpful.

It's quite possible that way back when pope and young were building bows and writing books, access to quality eastern red cedar was much greater. The bows they recommended were also long, around 68"+ if I remember right, and the older, thicker D shape from back to belly. Maybe that also made a difference, I don't know...
Old 12-18-2008, 02:19 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

Burnie, thanks for the updated info. Like I said, I've not yet built my first bow, so your personal experience and observations are very helpful.

It's quite possible that way back when pope and young were building bows and writing books, access to quality eastern red cedar was much greater. The bows they recommended were also long, around 68"+ if I remember right, and the older, thicker D shape from back to belly. Maybe that also made a difference, I don't know...
I made my first D shape bow here recently out of Yew, and can't say i am a fan. Alot of the guys on primitive archer were raving about it. But I am goin back to my flatbow design.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is all very helpful, especially Burnie. I think I will try hickory first to get the hang of it.

Thanks. everyone.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

This is all very helpful, especially Burnie. I think I will try hickory first to get the hang of it.

Thanks. everyone.
Hey fork, I posted a ebay sale of a boardbow out of hickory. If you want to learn how to tiller. For 39 dollars, you can't beat it.