Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Nock Placement

Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Spike

Default Nock Placement

Just got the new Martin at the house and I am not sure where I should set the nock. Im hearing from various readings that recurves like to be nocked at a 1/2" high. Is this a good starting spot or should I go dead on. I shoot one above and 2 below (fingers), or is that just for 3 fingers below. Martin x150 recurve28" at 50lbs Thanks for any help
scott
Old 12-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Spike

Default RE: Nock Placement

Forgot to metion that I am adding a bear weather rest to the bow
Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd start In that 3/8ths to a 1/2" above your rest/shelf and go from there. If It's to high you'll know right away, If It's to low you'll know right away. Find that sweet spot where your arrow flys the best and go with It.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 PM
bigcountry

Easiest way to start is to set over 1/2" high and shoot thru paper or bareshaft tune is better. Keep moving down until your bareshafts hit with your fletched arrows or your high tear on paper is gone. Start high however. You can get false readings with the arrow hitting the shelf.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tie a piece of floss or thread around the string as an indicator. I slide it up or down and shoot until my arrows fly straight. The usual clearance is within the range stated above. However mine turned out to shoot best at 3/4" above plumb.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

I tie a piece of floss or thread around the string as an indicator. I slide it up or down and shoot until my arrows fly straight. The usual clearance is within the range stated above. However mine turned out to shoot best at 3/4" above plumb.
Wow 3/4". I have seen some bows tillered for split shooting 3 under that was 1/2". Never seen 3/4". Is this your main bow? Reason I ask, is I seem to hit a different POI with bows tillered for split compared to bows tillered for 3under. And if I had to set my nocking point 3/4", I would imagine it would be worse.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, this is my main hunting bow. I've never had any trouble with the POI. It hits where I point it. I used to have my knocks set lower. The POI was pretty much the same but Inoticed that my arrows were hard to stabilize and my arrow rest wore out quickly.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

Yeah, this is my main hunting bow. I've never had any trouble with the POI. It hits where I point it. I used to have my knocks set lower. The POI was pretty much the same but Inoticed that my arrows were hard to stabilize and my arrow rest wore out quickly.
You know I have found this too. If I keep my bare shafts just a smidget high, or BH's, things appear to be more forgiving. You have a very slight flip, but tend to hit where needed. If I put it lower where my bareshafts are perfect with my fletched arrows, I have no room for underdrawing, or bad form.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Yah 3/4 high sounds a bit much never heard of someone going this much, must be something wrong.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Each bow and each persons releaseis different - if it bareshafts and you get great (not good) arrow flight, there is no wrong setting.
It can need change simply from varying the pressure applied to the string by your different fingers or how deep you hook.
I've had vows tune from 1/4 to 7/8 high - slightly higher for those off the shelve vs shot off a rest.

Steve

Quick Reply: Nock Placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.