Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 The Chrissy Present Build Along >

The Chrissy Present Build Along

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

The Chrissy Present Build Along

Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Chrissy Present Build Along

Here is a sneak peak in hunting mode

The riser will be darker when I seal it and get the finish on

Just waiting to hear from Chad to see if he wants the thumb and finger gooves deeper.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Ohhh man she is looking good! Chad is a lucky lucky man.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ohhh man she is looking good! Chad is a lucky lucky man.
Yes Chad is a lucky man, lucky he has a wonderful GF in Tana who has made all this possible.

Here is another sneak peak but this time in target form

I took these pics without any finish on the limbs, they are now hanging in the shop with the first coat on them.

Just to recap the hunting limbs are Shedura/Ossage with Morado tip overlaysand the Target limbs are Massaranduba Redwood/Canarywood with Cocobolo tip overlays

Hope Chad dont get them mixed up and uses the hunting limbs in a tourney

Oh forgot to mention the target limbs came in at 40lb @ 27.5"
Old 12-21-2008, 03:17 PM

Russ im looking at those grooves and I think they are pretty darn close. If it fits well in your hand I believe it will fit well in mine. I know the sample bow fits well in mine and that was designed for your hand, so if its anything like that its fine. Speaking of the sample bow...it being shipped back tomorrow to you.

Man i cant wait to shoot that bow. It is looking great brother. Something tells me your gonna be asked to build quite a few more of em. Then finally you will have to actually work. LOLv
Old 12-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chad.

It fits into my hand like a glove

I'll do the final sanding of the riser tomorrow, seal it, sand it some more then put the finish on it hopefully get it into the mail Wed.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just got back from test shooting the bow with the target limbs.

It shoots real sweet even if I say so myself

Now I can finish off the riser but first I have to run down and get some sealer.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:26 PM

Hi Kanga, I've been keeping my mouth shut and watching your world class instruction on Chad's bow.
Do you realize you have set an example/standard in archery by showing your exact process for building an awesome bow! This is the first time in my life I have ever seen a bowyer have the balls to put his reputation on the line showing the process regardless of problems, even though they were beyond your control (it's wood, who knows!). This has been one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever experienced on any archery forum I have ever viewed, hat's off dude, you are da MAN!

I also noticed that once you started cutting on that beautiful riser, some more color/detail came out in the wood. It started out being nice and just keeps getting better.
If you don't mind my asking, exactly what are you using for the finish, and will it be gloss/semi/or flat?

Changeling

Old 12-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Changeling

Thanks for the kind words.

I don't mind showing any problems I have along the way and I will be the first to admit a screw up on my part.

As for the finish it will be Satin Polly

I done the final sanding on the riser and washed it with Acetone to get any surface oil out, then got it sealed. I used some really high tech stuff to seal it namely super glue and used a tool thats old as man kind to apply it namely my finger, just had to make sure I did not stop any movement and become part of the riser

I still have some sanding to do before I can put the finish on but let me tell you this if you think that piece of wood looked good before just wait till you see it with the finish on, it is some of the most beautiful wood I have ever had the pleasure to use
Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

The riser is now hanging in the shop with the first coat of polly

Here are some pics of after I finished sanding the sealer back and the last 2 are with the first coat of Polly.

Now I have to get busy and sand back the limbs and give them a final coat or 2
Old 12-23-2008, 12:39 PM

Kanga, it is really looking good. Is the poly finish sprayed on or brushed on, is there a preferred brand? This is really interesting.

Changeling

Quick Reply: The Chrissy Present Build Along

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.