Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings >

Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings

Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings

Hey Chad,

What are you hearing and your opinions on these 5:1 ratio strings that seem to be the buzz now?

Bob
Old 11-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings

Very curious to know as well. For my 50# bow, that's only 2 strands of D-97... I guess I could go extra safe and use 3 strands for a traditional flemish twist
Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The jury is still out IMO. I'm lucky enough to know Rod Jenkins (the best string maker I know), and have discussed it with him. Rod likes small strings (8-10 strand 8125 and Dyna, I think--need to ask him again), but doesn't normally shoot more than 45# or so. Also had a good phone conversation about the same with O.L. Adcock a day or two ago--he's shooting a 4 strand Dyna '97 on a .......50#, I think, and his wife is shooting a 2-strand on a 35# or so. They both really like them.

Although I trust these folks (I trust Rod as much as anyone--I know how meticulous he is, and he's probably forgotten more about archery than most of us will ever know), I'm hesitant. I just don't know enough folks that have tried them. I remember when PENN 66 and B-75 were the rage--until they were taken off the market due to string failures. There's just too many variables for me to be comfortable with such tiny strings without more input. The smallest I shoot are 10 strands on my selfbows (58-66#). They don't seem to give that much ofa performance advantage, but I can see where in some cases every fps counts.

I don't see me testing them personally, at least not yet. I don't have the time, and really don't have the desire. I love the way my bow shoots now (ain't going to try and fix what isn't broken), it's hunting season, and I've got too many irons in the fire as it is.

I'll try to get more info. as time goes on, and see if this is just a passing fad or if there's more to it.

Chad
Old 11-25-2008, 05:39 PM
bigcountry

Thats just nuts. 2stand? Cut thru your hand like piano wire

Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Thats just nuts. 2stand? Cut thru your hand like piano wire
sounds about right.....
a two strand string would be super quiet on a recurve i would think....but

How do they stay together at the loops with only 2 strands????
how do you serve the string?????? inorder get your arrows to nock correct???? with only 2 strands???

i could se how 8-10 strands would work but not two.... with 8 strands the string is 33% lighter/smaller than a 12 strand strings....technically they should be a little faster and a little quieter.

Personally i think Chad makes great strings....they seem like they should last forever....but i can also seee how theymight be alittle overbuilt.....

ill have to try it for myself someday and see(ilearned how to twist my own...thanks Chad) if there is any advantage to a 6-10 strand string....i dont think id try two strands.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

How do they stay together at the loops with only 2 strands????
how do you serve the string?????? inorder get your arrows to nock correct???? with only 2 strands???
They are double serving them.

Yea, this could be just a fad. I guess the only thing I'd be interested in seeing the difference in would be the quietness factor. Not that my recurves are loud.

I was always under the impression though that the heavier (more strands) string would be a quieter string.

Let us know if you hear anything else from Rod. I'd be interested.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't know how the serving is staying in place on the two strand. You can double serve, but I prefer to build up the nock point with dental floss for something like that--adds a lot less weight to the string.

You won't save 33% of the total string weight by dropping 4 strands (from a 12 strand string)--you forget the loop padding, nock set, and serving. Probably closer to 25%.

Padding out the loops makes it easier to keep them together, but properly made I don't think a 2-strand would slip--it might cut through the tips though.

I always thought a larger string would be quieter--seems to work that way with dacron. I think this is because with dacron, the more strands you have, the less elasticity you have.

However, there's another part to the equation--mass/momentum. More strands = more momentum = more vibration. Since materials like Dynaflight have very low elasticity, you can use less without worrying about them stretching like a rubber band. Less weight, less momentum, less vibration. It's taken me a long time to get this through my thick skull.

I plan to see how these strings pan out over the long haul. Maybe Rod will do some testing--he likes to tinker way more than I do. I'm more along the lines of "if it works, leave it alone!". Might be tempted to do a little tinkering later though.

Chad
Old 11-26-2008, 03:57 PM

LBR/Chad, I just sent you a PM.

This is a very interesting conversation, but a question I have is just how much is being gained with the extreme number of thread count vs some medium number of reductions. It just seems illogical for hunters to reduce the number of strands down to 2/3/4 whatever without some big results. I would trade a couple/few feet of speed any day for a bow that makes less noise because of the "string".

Changeling
Old 11-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Spike

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=067218

Another conversation about this topic.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:55 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

As far as I know there's just not a lot of information out there on these tiny strings. Shrew bows have come with a 6-strand 450+ for some time, and that was considered "tiny"--but it's almost twice as big as a 4 strand Dynaflight '97.

O.L. Adcock has done quite a bit of testing, but mainly with his bows--different bows can act a lot differently as far as noise, speed, stability, etc. Might gain a couple of fps, might gain more. Might get a quieter bow, might not. Might be stable, might not. The only way to know for sure is to try one and see how it works for you. I'm not in any hurry to try one on my bow, because it's fast, quiet, and stable with 14 strands of Dynaflight--and I have a good supply of arrows already matched to it. When I get a new bow, I'll probably tinker some.

Chad

Quick Reply: Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.