Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

homemade bow

Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default homemade bow

i know that it is a complicated art. i was shown how to do it many many moonsago. id like to try making 1 now but i am afraid that i dnt remember the entire process. could some of you guys kinda geme an overview?or maybe point me in the right direction to a good how to book?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: homemade bow

Laminated, stave or board bow?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

Laminated, stave or board bow?
Ditto, that would give us a better place to start with. And even at that, there are many different ways to skin the rat. I have several techniques for each kind.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

stave would be my first choice as that is what i was shown all those years ago. i would also like to try laminate as well in the future. also im looking for methods that dnt require expensive machinery. the way i was taught beforeinvolved almost nothing more than a draw knife
Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 AM
bigcountry

Trad bowyers bible vol 1 is good. Also Jim hamm has a book "Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans", that goes into better detail for osage at least.
http://www.amazon.com/Arrows-Native-Americans-Step-Step/dp/1599210835/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227198344& amp;sr=1-5

Trad Bowyers Bible Vol 4 has a great section on bow woods and suitibility. Vol 2 and 3 really hasn't done anything for me.

Another source that would be really good is James Easter, has a DVD out that goes step by step.

http://www.osagebow.net/MAKING_THE_OSx.html

Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, various build alongs at the bowyers forum at tradgang for quick free reading.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

thanx guys. iv always wanted to make a bow and then kill a deer with it. the ultimate in bowhunting to me
Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Get a copy of Dean Torges's, "Hunting the Osage". It's a fantastic A-Z selfbow manual, wrapped in entertaining story / prose.

Here's a start to finish buildalong I recently did on another site, based largely on "Hunting the Osage Bow".

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/19766
Old 11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

be carefull it is addictive. Start reading and try to find someone around you to help.

www.tradgang.com is a great place to find info and ask questions. I know many of us go there too.

I make selfbows out of Osage. If its around where you live see if you can get some and get it started drying. You'll need some big stuff 8-10 inch diameter stuff is realy great. Cut it longer than the length of bow you want to make. I usualy cut 6 1/2 foot if possible. This way if you get a check as it dries you have room to cut off. And you have the rome to move the layout on the stave one way or another. Split them lengthwise then seal the ends. I use spray shellac. I let it dry and coat it again.

Then you have some waiting to do. However, if you want you can chase the growth ring and then seal the back too. Also you can rough it out and let it dry but it will dry faster. So you seal has to be good. Spray them well.

For tools I use, other than a chain saw, I use a draw knife, a scraper(a knife used to scrape), sandpaper, a chainsaw file....and maybe a few other things....

Its alot of fun but takes time and patients. Good luck

Old 11-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

thats why i want to do it. iv always been interested in primitive hunting methods, and i absolutly love shooting traditional bows. i was taught by a guy how to do it when i was maybe 10. great guy. great teacher. but that was long ago. now im almost finished with college but will have some extra time on my hands next year. be a way to possibly make some extra money, and also to further my trad education, , as well as have the satisfaction of building a work of art with my own hands

Quick Reply: homemade bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.