Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 2008 Kansas hunt - updated Friday morning, I tagged a buck :) page 4 >

2008 Kansas hunt - updated Friday morning, I tagged a buck :) page 4

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

2008 Kansas hunt - updated Friday morning, I tagged a buck :) page 4

Old 11-05-2008, 08:16 AM

Default RE: 2008 Kansas hunt

Good luck out there Stealthy! I'm headed to Illinois next week myself!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

Mark had a big big shooter 10 come in this morning - 40 yards 5 different times. No shots.

This is what came through his stand in the am hours

Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned

Mark saw a THUMPER tonight - 170's to 180 size buck. It circled from upwind to downwind all around the 25-30 yard range and like all big bucks, one step from shooting window it balked on a sniff of wind and blew out[&o]

But wow .... he saw two very big bucks today, 10 total bucks .... aint nothing wrong with that kind of hunting !
Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a blast, and good timing

Do you have a feel for what stage the rut is in? Are bucks chasing yet, or just seeking?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Banned

It took me 11 hours to get here, I left at 2:00 am. LONG drive. It took 10 minutes to leave and off to hang stand we go.
Driving into the ranch we saw this buck

I hung one stand in my favorite magic tree spot. Hot scrape 5 yards below me, 7-8 yards to the trail they use. NICE.
Driving to stand #2 we saw Pinchers - the buck I posted that I said was unique and I liked. BIGGER than we'd thought he was geeessh !

Stand #2 hung, off to stand #3 in a place that doesn't get hunted. Sweet looking spot, we jumped bucks going in to scout it and saw does too. A bend in the creek bottom, standing corn on one side, alphafa on the other. Trails beat down and monster scrapes and rubs.
I chose a bit cottonwood to hang the stand.
I did get to hunt 2 hours tonight in another location, saw one little 8 points.
Still, 2 shooter bucks we saw today just hanging stands !

============
Saturday
============

Heck of a day - Alvis shot this mongo 160"+ 10 this morning at 8:20 am, home made longbow and arrows Tickled to death for him
19 1/2" inside spread, 24" main beams .... really carried his mass just a fantastic buck !

I saw one little buck this morning, but this afternoon I sat in my cottonwood stand. Seconds after sitting down a big 8 bounded through the creek bottom, and I had to shoot over a limb to get him and hit the limb! 1" away from getting that buck. I saw 2 more smaller bucks and rigth at dark a MONGO buck came in to 15 yards, no way to shoot ..... he was just like the above buck but with 12" tines !!!!!!
Tommorrow is promising and cold !

yep, same buck in the picture that Alvis killed. I think they tallied 163" even gross for anyone who cares about score.

I saw 5 bucks this morning, bunch of muley and whitetail does ... one 125" 8 came in and tempted me but after seeing that hoss yesterday I didn't shoot. I saw one shooter 8 this morning across the creek from the cottonwood tree stand, maybe the same buck I missed yesterday?

I moved that stand, to a funnel corner that every deer I've seen has went to or came from. 12' high, 5-15 yard shot, edge of standing corn ... and a series of scrapes and licking branches under a tree that are fresh, pooped in and smelly. NICE !

High hopes for tommorrow morning, because we have weather coming in tonight, 70% chance of t-storms, 33 low and 42 high - and that stand has to have a north or northwest wind. That rain turns to snow Monday night into Tuesday is the forecast.

We also hung another stand at Johnny's place. Creek bottom stand overlooking a scrape, but the ridge above the alfalfa bottom is tore up. I might move that one next chance I get. It will be tonights stand

------

I saw 3 bucks tonight and 16 cows Slow evening.

Mark had a dandy buck by and it had its left side snapped at the brow tine - he said about the same size as his Dad's buck (Alvis)

Mark's area got busted up when a group of hunters were looking for a hit 10 pointer, so driving around they saw 7 bucks out chasing does around.

So the time is now, the weather is coming and tommorrow morning I sit the corner where I moved the Cottonwood stand - looking forward to that (not looking forward to 35 degree rain)

I shot 15 yards tonight after it got very dark at one of the tarsal glands off Alvis' deer - all 3 were grouped in the size of my fist - very good shooting for cold shooting for me.
Here is another of Alvis' deer - until you get your hands wrapped on a 160+ buck its hard to describe just how big they are !

==========
Monday
==========

I saw 2 little bucks - look what Mark shot !!

yep, he shot pinchers - 19" wide or so, 24" beams, 11" and 12" tines .... wow. Compound kill but a fricking dandy buck that'll go into the 160's

Its 38 and raining right now - I'm going to go hunt the scrapes at Johnny's place, where I moved my stand to at noon. Maybe a big buck will come freshen after this rain?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

WWWWOOOOWWWWW!!! Thats AWESOME!

Congrats to u guys! and Good luck!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Excellent Stealthy. I have not seen a single buck this season. But then agian, I have not been out much.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned

This is what I saw when I walked out the door - about 150 yards from the house !

35 degrees and rain - this was one of the more difficult afternoon hunts I've had. What saved me I think was that my back was to the wind/rain. I saw 3 bucks, 3 does, nothing shooter and nothing close enough anyway. Between the cold, lightning flashing and rain .... tough afternoon.

Also, I've never seen slicker snotty roads in my life when it gets wet. I got in my non-4wd Sequoia, put it in drive and slid towards the ditch. I worked it a bit and got deeper and deeper, finally sliding to a 50 degree angle and stop. Great. I wasn't all the way in, so I put it in reverse, gave it hell, backed up to the opposite side of the ditch, back in drive, and right down the middle of the grader ditch. Well, I tried to whip up into the field and hit something, so back down into the ditch and attempt to go up onto the road. Miracle I made it - honestly I don't know how it worked but it did !
I've got to go back and take pictures of that fiasco ....

Tommorrow afternoon is my hunting the previous cottonwood stand location where I saw that monster buck, and several other bucks. The wind will switch late morning. I'll be in that stand and honestly I believe I'll get a shot tommorrow. That area is that good
Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Holy fricking rut neck on that muley!!! Wow!!! Congratulation's to all of you that have scored on some great bucks stealthy!! You'll get your chance by the sounds of It, hang In there and good luck!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

tough morning - I had 2 does and 3 fawns by, and then 45 minutes alter a dink buck and that was it. 34 degrees and misting rain sucks.

this afternoon might be it - I'll be hunting the stand where I saw the big buck a couple of days back and also shot at the big 8. I opted to not hunt it this morning, but I'll likely hunt it almost exclusively the rest of the hunt as long as I have a N, NW or W wind.

Big Bucks are being seen all around, at all times of the day, with and without does. I've seen a bit of buck dogging does, but both Mark's big buck and Alvis's were by themselves.

Sun has come up at 11:20 am - this could be the afternoon and in fact I'll be a bit surprised if I dont have a shooter buck by me tonight - that stand should be HOT !

Quick Reply: 2008 Kansas hunt - updated Friday morning, I tagged a buck :) page 4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.