Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Graphite arrows and  heavy broadheads >

Graphite arrows and heavy broadheads

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Graphite arrows and heavy broadheads

Old 10-20-2008, 12:01 PM

Default Graphite arrows and heavy broadheads

I have some older Beman Gold Tip XT 5575 shaft blanks that I am going to finish into arrows. However there is something that I am concerned about. Can I use heavy heads on these carbon shafts, my intention is to use Zwickey two blade heads and inserts, Bow is #46 recurve, limbs are walnut and carbon. Actually what I am wondering is do different weight heads shoot differently in the horizontal direction are just the vertical differences (trajectory)?

Changeling
Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Graphite arrows and heavy broadheads

From a 45# bow I doubt you will get those arrows to shoot well without heavy heads.

I'm shooting carbon express 4560 terminators from my 50# bow with 250 grains up front and getting excellent flight.

In my experience (and many I've read), carbon likes a lot of weight up front.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

As mentioned, you will need a pretty heavy head and a longer shaft. Im shooting 145 grain head on a carbon arrow that is rated for 65-70lb out of a 68 lb @29" bow. The shafts are 30" long.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

In my experience (and many I've read), carbon likes a lot of weight up front.
True, at least enought to get the shaft bending right.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM

Well the shafts are 28.75 inches long, I've had them for a long time so I'm hoping I will be able to use them. I am wide open to suggestion on the broad heads or building the arrows. I thought I could use steel inserts (100/125 gr) and some zwickey heads I have also had for a long time. If not the zwickey than a Magnus or something along this same design witch I like. I killed 3 deer with the zwickey Eskimo heads and they performed great, I can't see where another design would have done any better.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would make1 up with 100gr brass insert and bare shaft it to see how it's flying.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kanga

I would make1 up with 100gr brass insert and bare shaft it to see how it's flying.
Good Idea!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not going to work unless without at least 300gr or more, unless you are cut close to true center shot.

Beaman never made Goldtips.

Steve
Old 10-21-2008, 08:40 AM

Here is my setup... Gold Tip 5575 cut to 30", 100gr Brass insert, 125gr Broadhead, and 5" Feathers (helical). They fly like darts out of my ACS-CX longbow at 58#@28".
Old 10-21-2008, 10:02 AM

Gold Tip's brass insert work great to fine tune arrow for traditional setups. You can add them in 10 grain increments.

I'm shooting a Gold Tip 5575 @ 48 lbs with a 200 gr Muzzy and 100 gr brass inserts. I don't remember the length off the top of my head. Your arrow is fairly short to start with, so you may have to add more weight. A little bareshaft testing will tell you just how much weight to add.

I also have a 62 lb longbow that I'm using 7595s with. Carbons with a lot of weight up front hit like a ton of bricks.

Quick Reply: Graphite arrows and heavy broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.