Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I come in complete humbleness your highness... >

I come in complete humbleness your highness...

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I come in complete humbleness your highness...

Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 AM

Default I come in complete humbleness your highness...

I am thinking of going the traditional way for next season somewhat.. I began my archery career 21 yrs ago at age 12. I learned to shoot a longbow and a recurve by the time I was 13.. I was a good shot out to 20 yds... then I hit high school and fell into the compound craze and never looked back. that was 2 decades ago, and I love my compound and love to hunt with it and will always continue to do so, unless i become very, very good with a traditional bow.. but I want to reach back and get in touch with my ancestry and feel the real deal.. even if it's just shooting one in the backyard.. so I ask which is the best for a guy like me?? Longbow or recurve?? all wooden?? what is a Take down?? what are the basics I need to know to be proficient enough to kill a deer..what # do I need, what arrows, anything will help...I am your servant... you guys are the cream of the crop in my opinion.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: I come in complete humbleness your highness...

I want to be able to shoot a recurve so bad. I have owned 4 of em. Reason is, I love the grip. But I have came to the conclusion, the only thing I can hit anything with is my longbows. I don't know why, but the longbows seem so much more stable, forgiving, and easier to tune.

I think this month, I have came to the conclution, its not good to mix your trad shooting with longbows and high grip recurves. It messes with my shooting. I mean, it might be ok with a PSR recurve like widow makes.

Here is what I suggest. Read a few books. Get ahold of a lower end recurve or longbow, around 45lbs. Don't worry so much about tuning right now. Right now, the problem will be you.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-Traditional-Archery-Sorrells/dp/0811731332/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=122408 0459&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Become-Arrow-Target-Byron-Ferguson/dp/091330509X/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I have this one, but don't recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/Instinctive-Shooting-Step-Step-Bowhunting/dp/0936531053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224080576& amp;sr=1-1

Old 10-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I want to be able to shoot a recurve so bad. I have owned 4 of em. Reason is, I love the grip. But I have came to the conclusion, the only thing I can hit anything with is my longbows. I don't know why, but the longbows seem so much more stable, forgiving, and easier to tune.

I think this month, I have came to the conclution, its not good to mix your trad shooting with longbows and high grip recurves. It messes with my shooting. I mean, it might be ok with a PSR recurve like widow makes.

Here is what I suggest. Read a few books. Get ahold of a lower end recurve or longbow, around 45lbs. Don't worry so much about tuning right now. Right now, the problem will be you.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-Traditional-Archery-Sorrells/dp/0811731332/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=122408 0459&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Become-Arrow-Target-Byron-Ferguson/dp/091330509X/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I have this one, but don't recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/Instinctive-Shooting-Step-Step-Bowhunting/dp/0936531053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224080576& amp;sr=1-1
Once you get your bowyer skills down, make an R-D long bow, with lots of reflex and build up a riser handle like on a recurve. I tend to like a riser type handle and have made several long bows with thick risers like a recurve has.

Vabowman
Id suggest you go and shoot several to see what you like. That is if possible. Long bows are going to have a smoother draw with little less stack and tend to be more forgiving. A recurve will have more zip to it, with more hand shock and a less smooth draw. I shoot both and love both. Trad bows are just like compounds in respect to personal preference. What I like, might not be what you like, and visa-versa.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Spike

Get yourself Masters of the Barebow I&II from 3Rivers. Good stuff!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM

I have hunted with a PSE compound that was 250. and can out shoot any of the 800. compounds (speed does not replace accuracy or form) it's not the price of the bow but the skill of the bowmen.The pleasure of traditional is the challenge and the skill involved,any one can use a release and have 80% let off and be able to hit a target. but it is the art of using your whole body and mind together to produce accuracy in traditional archery. how did you start when you were 12, your age might have changed but but going back to the basics has not.By the way my choice is the longbow I feel it hits harder,and feels truly traditional.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily
Vabowman
A recurve will have more zip to it, with more hand shock and a less smooth draw.
I've been shooting recurves for 45 years and that's the first time I ever heard anyone say a recurve has more handshock than a longbow. I'm not disputing your opinion. I just never heard that before only the opposite.

Vabowman,
I am partial to recurves, but I do have a longbow. I can shoot my recurves much better than the longbow. However that being said, no one less than Byron Ferguson has said and gives good reason why longbows are more forgiving which we'll not get into here and now.

IMO, I would look into a low poundage(40-45 lbs)recurve like a Bear-Grizzly, Super Kodiak or Hunter, aWing-Red Wing Hunter or a Ben Pearson-Colt to name a fewas a starter bow. My reason for this is they are plentiful to find,relatively inexpensive, proven shootersand have stood the test of time. Stay away from shorter bows as they are more unstable to shoot for beginners as a general rule. I would recommend 58-62" AMO length.

As for reading material I recommend;
Instinctive
Shooting Vol 1
by G. Fred Asbell

Some of my bows