Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Harmonic location for installing string silencers? >

Harmonic location for installing string silencers?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Harmonic location for installing string silencers?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Harmonic location for installing string silencers?

Hey fellas, long time no read

I bought a new bear supermag for pop up blind hunting this fall. Getting close, so time to quiet it down.

I want to try beaver hair on it. I have some here, and since I've never used it I was doing some searching for install instructions. Came across this-

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/i...ic=1183.0;wap2

They recommend looking for the convergence of harmonic oscillations when plucking the string. If anyone can convert this to usable instructions in English I'd be forever grateful

Do you think beaver fur will do a good job quieting the shot down? What are your thoughts on wrapping the ends of the string with thick yarn to quiet limb slap?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Harmonic location for installing string silencers?

Don't use ordinary yarn for wrapping the string. I'd recommend using Bow Hush instead (but only on a recurve, nothing is needed for the longbow). As far as the location of the silencer goes, some people put their bow in front of a TV (I believe it has to be a tube) and twang the string. But to tell you the truth, I have a hard time finding the exact loaction. What I usually do is find the location between 1/3 and 1/4 of the total length of the string (on a recurve from where the string touches the belly of the limbs) while the bow is at rest and start there. If it is still loud, I just experiement a little.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

As far as the location of the silencer goes, some people put their bow in front of a TV (I believe it has to be a tube) and twang the string.
It works with an LCD screen too, but the oscillation isn't nearly as noticeable as it is with a tube.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks fellas.

Arthur, so assuming one can see the oscillations, what exactly are we supposed to be looking for to pinpoint the spot to put the silencers?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look for the spot on each end of the string where you see the the string make it's biggest oscillations and, according to theory, that's where you put the silencers. With some bows, you can actually see two peaks on each end.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks to me like it vibrates most in the middle

I tried something that may have merit. Since your supposed to install the silencers them move them up and down to find the best spot, I got two thick rubber bands and tied one tight on the string at each end. Plucked the string and moved them around to where the string seemed to settle down and make the least noise.

I think I'll start with the silencers there and see what gives.

Do I need to un-string the bow to install the beaver strips? It's an endless loop string that came stock with the bow, can I just leave the bow strung and separate the strands like they do when serving?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you've got a string seperator you can. I don't have one. I keep my strings waxed so heavy that I have to unstring the bow to get the ends through the string.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal. This string is so new it's not yet been heavily waxed.

I'll have to google pics of string separators so I can see what I can McGiver up
Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Don't use ordinary yarn for wrapping the string. I'd recommend using Bow Hush instead
What are your (or anybodies) thoughts on adding moleskin or felt to the ends of the limbs where the string makes contact instead of using bow hush or similar wrapping on the string?

I can get the formers at Walmart, which is a big plus
Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Don't use ordinary yarn for wrapping the string. I'd recommend using Bow Hush instead
What are your (or anybodies) thoughts on adding moleskin or felt to the ends of the limbs where the string makes contact instead of using bow hush or similar wrapping on the string?

I can get the formers at Walmart, which is a big plus
Yes that will work on a recurve. Recheck your brace height though.

Quick Reply: Harmonic location for installing string silencers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.