Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

broadhead troubles

Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 AM

Default broadhead troubles

I shoot a Bear recurve. I have taken a few deer using mechanical broadheads. I really want to start shooting fixed blades. All my broadheads (Muzzy 4 blades) spin good with my arrows, but fly wild. I was thinking abouttrying a two blade. Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: broadhead troubles

Usually this is caused by your arrows being right on the edge when it comes to your tuning. The arrows are able to recover when your shooting a field point but when you get something that's both heavier and has blades on it then your tuning really catches up. I don't know how you currently tune your bow but I always tune mine with broadheads first and then I know the field tips will fly. That being said, where ever your string knocking point currently is raise it 1/8" and where ever your current brace height is raise it 1/2". This usually takes care of most bad flight but if it doesn't then there's a bunch of other factors to consider. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: longbowman2

Usually this is caused by your arrows being right on the edge when it comes to your tuning. The arrows are able to recover when your shooting a field point but when you get something that's both heavier and has blades on it then your tuning really catches up. I don't know how you currently tune your bow but I always tune mine with broadheads first and then I know the field tips will fly. That being said, where ever your string knocking point currently is raise it 1/8" and where ever your current brace height is raise it 1/2". This usually takes care of most bad flight but if it doesn't then there's a bunch of other factors to consider. Good luck!
Good post!!

NC bowhuntr, Whats your arrow size and pounds/draw length your pulling also?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
bigcountry

I have been fighting BH's all weekend. And come to the conclution that a weak spine is best.

Before fruit is thrown at me. Let me explain. I was shooting BH's from treestands and ground. I have a tendency to short draw in a tree stand especially in a strained circumstance.

On the ground where form is perfect, I will draw my full 29" draw. On the ground my 200gr phantoms was hitting perfect windage wise but from a small platform 20ft in the air, I was hitting to the right like 3" consistently at 20 yards. So I like a tad weak reaction from ground shooting BH's and a slightly weak from a tree.

I know some will say why not full draw all the time no matter if your 3d shooting/comp shooting, or hunting. But the bottom line is I am a hunter, and we tend not to get form and draw perfect in a tree.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Two bladed broadheads will not help you one bit, you need to get the proper spined arrows, or change your point weight.

Were are you located in NC? I can help you if you are close enough.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

whoops, double post
Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Tune the arrow and you will have no problem. Fine tune your arrows by adjusting head weight or cutting your shafts (all relative to the results of what ever form of tuning you do); spin test your broadheads to test for wabble; and get a good foc.. I just have to ask, have you been using mechanicals with trad gear???
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 PM

Hey thanks for all your help guys. I put a new string on, that I had ordered and moved my knocking point up about 1/4 inch and that fixed the problem.

Cessna Flyer, I live in the mnts in ashe co.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

NC Bowhunter, glad you got it sorted out.