Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long >

Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long

Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Excellent looking bow. I really like the wood choices. Good job.

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Wow guys, it looks so easy. Must not take any skill to build those laminated bows.

I messed a nice yew stave this weekend. I can't get anything right.[]
Mark
You need to put down the self bows and make a glass lam. There is almost no tillering at all.All the tillering is already done in the laminations. I think the success would do you good.
Then I would have to build a heat box and reflex forms. But your right. I need some success.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Then I would have to build a heat box and reflex forms.
Mark.

The heat box and forms are no big deal to make, the box can be a pain if you dont have help cutting the top off.

With the form just make sure the bottom section is square before you put the pressure strip on.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Excellent looking bow. I really like the wood choices. Good job.

Wow guys, it looks so easy. Must not take any skill to build those laminated bows.

I messed a nice yew stave this weekend. I can't get anything right.[]
Mark
You need to put down the self bows and make a glass lam. There is almost no tillering at all.All the tillering is already done in the laminations. I think the success would do you good.
Then I would have to build a heat box and reflex forms. But your right. I need some success.
Turn on your imagination. A heat box is anything that can get hot and hold a bow. Ive used stove pipe, with a heat gun. Ive made heat boxes out of two sheets of thick foam board, taped together with metal tape. Just make a box, mount some lights in it, and cook you a bow. Not expensive at all. But if you dont want to make a oven, use an epoxy that doesnt need to be cooked. I think smooth on 40 will cure within 48 hours. Urac 185 even faster. Ive never used Urac 185 so Id check to see if it works with glass. Im not sure. But if you use something like bowgrip 100, you will want to bake it. It will soften above cure temps.. As for a form, that is a piece of cake. If you want to make a simple r/d form, get the wood you want to use, mark your reflex and deflex and connect them with a smooth line (the shape you want) and transpose it to the other side. I like to do it in halfs and cut out both sides at the same time. Then all you have to do is but them up and connect them to one another. This way you will have the exact same curves for both limbs. Just be sure to tack down a wood lam or metal door jam strips to the form. Pretty much anything to make sure the back of the bow will come out square. One of my best forms was made from a simple 2x4. I used innertubs for clamps. I simply wraped up the whole thing. Bow and form. Works great.