HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Going to try Black Locust (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/254597-going-try-black-locust.html)

bigcountry 07-26-2008 05:49 PM

Going to try Black Locust

Cut and split a Black locust. They call it the teacher of tiller. I will be a good student.

bigcountry 07-26-2008 05:50 PM

RE: Going to try Black Locust

Not sure what to do with these. I can cut some to 60" and be straight or make into billets. Some are snakey. Might be firewood.

burniegoeasily 07-26-2008 08:54 PM

Looks like you got one or two that you could chase a good ring with.This is ironic, I was just looking at a black locust tree and thinking about cutting some staves. I have never made a self bow with black locust, but I like it as a lam. material. Im also thinking of trying some mulberry.Ive never used it, but its suppose to beosages distant cousin. Im also thinking of trying some hackberry.Ive got hackberry trees all over my land, so why not.I found an osage tree im going to cut some limbs off, if I can find who owns it. Isnt it sad, I live in the middle of osage country, or pretty darn close, and cant find osage wood. [:@]

Good luck with those staves. Dont forget to seal the ends, so they dont split on ya.;)

bigcountry 07-26-2008 09:46 PM

Thanks kent. You think the ones in the second picture are firewood?

Kanga 07-26-2008 10:50 PM

Mark.

They should turn out to be nice bows.

Ya gonna do a build along;)

bigcountry 07-27-2008 07:11 AM

Oh yea, got to do a build along. But these badboys are so wet, it will be next year.

i do have a yew stave ready, another two other Osages ready to chase a ring on.

One osage is real short. I am going to make a kids recurve that is like 12-15lbs at 12".

Kanga 07-27-2008 09:49 AM

One osage is real short. I am going to make a kids recurve that is like 12-15lbs at 12".
Thats gonna make some one very happy;)

I should have all the lams here sometime this week for Greg and Kyles bows They are both gonna look sweet.

bigcountry 07-27-2008 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Thats gonna make some one very happy;)

I should have all the lams here sometime this week for Greg and Kyles bows They are both gonna look sweet.
Be sure to post em. If you need any black locust for lams, let me know. I don't know what you can use and can't.

Kanga 07-27-2008 12:07 PM

Be sure to post em.
Mark.

I plan to do a build along with Gregs bow;)

If you need any black locust for lams, let me know.
Sure will mate but I will have to see if Kent will be able to make them for me, I dont have the right gear just yet to make my own lams.