HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   recurve bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/254441-recurve-bow.html)

spotteddeerrun13 07-25-2008 03:37 PM

recurve bow

i am planning on getting a recurve bow for archery season im am new to traditional bow hunting and need some advice like: what brand of bow should i get, and how hard is it to traditional bow hunt?

rybohunter 07-25-2008 03:53 PM

RE: recurve bow

Well now, this could get interesting.
Most people start planning and practicing much more than 2-3 months before the hunting season. But if you must, do as best you can to practice and BE CONSISTENT with your form. Be realistic with your accurate range. Being accurate with the bow, is the hardest thing for most people. Some take a VERY long time to be proficient.

As far as good brands and stuff, its ALL individualized. Try to get to a shoot and try as many bows as you can.

Have you ever even hunted, or bow hunted with compound gear before?

va bowbender 07-25-2008 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Most people start planning and practicing much more than 2-3 months before the hunting season. But if you must, do as best you can to practice and BE CONSISTENT with your form. Be realistic with your accurate range. Being accurate with the bow, is the hardest thing for most people. Some take a VERY long time to be proficient.

As far as good brands and stuff, its ALL individualized. Try to get to a shoot and try as many bows as you can.

Very good advice there. I would suggest getting a bow no heavier than 45 lbs at your draw length. That's heavy enough to hunt with and not too heavy to over bow yourself. At this point of the pre-season I would shoot every-other day at 10-15 yards until your groups are feather tight then move back 10 yards, etc. I've been shooting recurves for 45+ years and started practicing routinely for hunting season for over a month or more ago.

Kanga 07-25-2008 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: va bowbender

Very good advice there. I would suggest getting a bow no heavier than 45 lbs at your draw length. That's heavy enough to hunt with and not too heavy to over bow yourself. At this point of the pre-season I would shoot every-other day at 10-15 yards until your groups are feather tight then move back 10 yards, etc. I've been shooting recurves for 45+ years and started practicing routinely for hunting season for over a month or more ago.
Both good advice.

I will add tho if you shoot a compound with a release then you need to get a bow thats 1" shorter draw than your compound plus dont get a real short bow to start with.

BobCo19-65 07-26-2008 10:24 AM

Good post rybo and va!

As far as brands for the first one. I'd suggest something used. Most likely you may not stay with the first bow you buy. If you can, get a good older Bear, Red Wing, Shakespear, etc. But be sure to ask about stress cracks that meet and limb twist. Strees cracks usually develop at the fade outs.

Bob

Schultzy 07-26-2008 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Kanga

ORIGINAL: va bowbender

Both good advice.

I will add tho if you shoot a compound with a release then you need to get a bow thats 1" shorter draw than your compound plus dont get a real short bow to start with.
Boy there isn't much else to say. Awesome advice guys!!