Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Passion rekindled

Old 04-18-2019, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Passion rekindled

Recently I had the desire to rekindle the passion of archery of my youth (way back in the 50s and 60s). In these days of compound bows and crossbows, of which I have both, I longed for getting back to the simplicity and grace of the recurve bow. I killed my first whitetail buck with a 40# Bear Grizzly shooting fiberglass arrows and a Bear razorhead many many moons ago. A nice little 8 pt.
Spooking around on the internet I found a bow that caught my eye and wouldn't break my wallet. So I went and ordered a new CenterPoint Aspen from Wal-mart for just a tad over $100. It is really a lovely looking bow with a nice wood laminate riser and maple/fiberglass limbs. Its a take down, 62" AMO with 45# draw. The bow comes with a string, bow stringer and finger tab. I went to the local archery shop and had him make up some 500 spine arrows with feather fletching and I also picked up a Bear shooting glove.
I just came in from the backyard after "flinging" a few arrows. All I can say is "I still got it"! At 15 yards I was shooting 3" groups average right around where I wanted them. The arrows flew nicely and I believe quite fast. The bow is extremely quiet even without catwhiskers or any other string dampening on it. I still need quite a bit more practice in my technique and form which has slipped away over time. But I can honestly say I already wouldn't hesitate to take it deer hunting if I limited my shots to 15-20 yards.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

For you traditional shooters. What do you prefer for hunting: Do you like shooting off the shelf with a bear hair and leather spacer set up or a flipper type rest with or without a plunger? The Aspen above came with a self adhesive flipper type rest which seems to work pretty good. Just not sure how long its going to last. Give some feedback please.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

I like the hair rests and I like to shoot fingers. I use glove liners if it's cold and keep my right hand in my pocket. I like simplicity as the flipper rests have broken on me and the hair rests only wear out and you can see when they are getting thin. I tried tabs and three finger gloves but always have them off when deer move it seems and just started practicing with fingers. I don't know what the flipper rest looks like or how high it is, but changing to shooting off the shelf will likely change your nock point.

In the end, it is whatever you are most comfortable with and works with your form.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by archeryrob
I like the hair rests and I like to shoot fingers. I use glove liners if it's cold and keep my right hand in my pocket. I like simplicity as the flipper rests have broken on me and the hair rests only wear out and you can see when they are getting thin. I tried tabs and three finger gloves but always have them off when deer move it seems and just started practicing with fingers. I don't know what the flipper rest looks like or how high it is, but changing to shooting off the shelf will likely change your nock point.

In the end, it is whatever you are most comfortable with and works with your form.
Oh yes going to shooting off the shelf to off a flipper rest will definitely change the nock point. Maybe as much as 1/2". I'm not sure if I should go with Bear hair or just use moleskin on the shelf and put a piece of leather on the riser. I'm going to shoot with the flipper for a while and then make my decision.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think it matters. This is from a selfbow I used to shoot and it is just deer leg skin dried as raw hide and then glued on the shelf.
Attached Thumbnails Passion rekindled-shelf.jpg