HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/247214-sights.html)

daughenbaughredneck 05-24-2008 11:09 PM

Sights

Is it good to use sights on a Trad bow. I have seen them like that. is it good or not. or should you start without one like at 15 yrds and works your way back until you get good with the trade bow

Wingbone 05-25-2008 05:17 AM

RE: Sights

If you want to use sights on a traditional bow, you can. Olympic target archery is done with recurve bows. But if you are asking to use sights until you are confident enough to take them off and go instinctive, that's another thing. Shooting instinctively is an entirely different process. If you goal is to shoot instinctively, start close and as you get confident, extend your range.

SteveBNy 05-25-2008 06:19 AM

Sights have been used for 100's of years.
Great tool for developing or checking good form.
Once good form is learned, they can be removed (if you choose) and the learning curve to good barebow accuracy is greatly reduced.

Steve

bigcountry 05-25-2008 06:54 AM

Well, to use em, generally, you have to use an elevated rest and pretty well change around your whole form. You not longer have a barebow at that point, no shooting off the shelf, and generally no canting. I always thought it would be a good idea to have a slip on sight to check for bareshaft tuning.

Schultzy 05-25-2008 07:29 AM

You can absalutely do it. All in all though if you want to shoot sights why do it with a traditional bow, just stick to a compound then. You will be surprised on how good you can do with out sights shooting if you done some practicing. Give yourself a chance once instead of taking the other approach right of away.

Chris W. 05-25-2008 08:03 AM

Is it good to use sights on a Trad bow. I have seen them like that. is it good or not. or should you start without one like at 15 yrds and works your way back until you get good with the trade bow
You can use sights on a recurve. Many have done it in the past, even myself, with excellent results. Is it good or bad? Well, that's up to you and what your goals are. If you're going to use a sight, I'd recommend a simple single pin sight.

Well, to use em, generally, you have to use an elevated rest and pretty well change around your whole form.
An elevated rest isn't needed to us a sight off a recurve. One can shoot just as well off the shelf with a simple pin sight as they can with an elevated rest. I've got a simple cobra pin sight I keep around for those times when Iwant to checkform issues. As far as shooting form change, I hold the bow the same whether I've got a sight on the bow or not. I do shoot the bow mostly verticle though. Never had a reason todo thehard cant.

All in all though if you want to shoot sights why do it with a traditional bow, just stick to a compound then.
Maybe he's drawn to the recurve more so than the compound. Different folks have different reasons for doing what they do. The man wants to shoot a recurve. If he wants to do it with a sight, then so be it. I really get tired of hearing the "stick to a compound" comment when the topic of sights on a recurve is brought up.

Schultzy 05-25-2008 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

All in all though if you want to shoot sights why do it with a traditional bow, just stick to a compound then.
Maybe he's drawn to the recurve more so than the compound. Different folks have different reasons for doing what they do. The man wants to shoot a recurve. If he wants to do it with a sight, then so be it. I really get tired of hearing the "stick to a compound" comment when the topic of sights on a recurve is brought up.

I didn't say nothing wrong, just an opinion as was yours. I've had sights on my little recurves back in the day. What did I learn from it? Not a damn thing. Its no different then shooting a compound with sights, just allot tougher if your pulling allot of weight back. Each to there own but I believe a person will have better success without sights on a traditional bow, more so in hunting situations. Like I said its just an opinion of mine and I'm not knocking anyone for doing so if they wish.

Jasonlester 05-25-2008 10:32 AM

No way don't do it. It would be totaly wrong.....LOL just messing with you. Do what feels right for you. But like others said if your goal is not to use them then give it a shot without them first. Get close and worry about form much more than acuracy. That will come with time.

I teach archery to 4H kids. We focus on form over acuracy every time. Forget where the arrow strikes just that it hits the target(so not to lose arrows) and focus on the same spot every time. You should get a group. Keep doing this and your group will move to where your focusing on. Move back farther and try again. do this over and over.

Schultzy 05-25-2008 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

No way don't do it. It would be totaly wrong.....LOL just messing with you. Do what feels right for you. But like others said if your goal is not to use them then give it a shot without them first. Get close and worry about form much more than acuracy. That will come with time.

I teach archery to 4H kids. We focus on form over accuracy every time. Forget where the arrow strikes just that it hits the target(so not to lose arrows) and focus on the same spot every time. You should get a group. Keep doing this and your group will move to where your focusing on. Move back farther and try again. do this over and over.

Well said Jason!! Thats pretty much the same thing I try to explain to the beginners as well. Sometimes I believe people think to much and over analyze everything trying to shoot these Traditional bows. Just shoot them and believe in your self and I guarantee allot of people would be surprised by the good out comes.

Rory/MO 05-25-2008 11:32 AM

i thought that was one of the main reason people used a trad bow, over a compound