Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Winter shooting backdrop >

Winter shooting backdrop

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Winter shooting backdrop

Old 02-25-2003, 02:37 PM

Default Winter shooting backdrop

Anyone have any great ideas for making an indoor backdrop for shooting inside when it' s cold? I thought about using rigid insulations sheets (6 deep) - what is everyone else doing? I iwll be setting up in my basement and would like to avoid and patchwork

Thanks

Mike
Old 02-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Winter shooting backdrop

All I can really do is take five foot shots at a burly deadstop to keep muscles toned. Ain' t enough room for longer shots. Before I moved I shot in the basement. The target generally stopped them and I didn' t have to worry about anything else. I shot at a 3d deer and had a tuff block above it and a box full of newspaper under it and the 3d target' s box filled with a blanket to the right of it as security.

Brandan
Old 02-26-2003, 06:01 AM

I can shoot about 11 yards in my garage. I just use a block target. If I miss I' ll be spearing my garage doors. But I use that as incentive to shoot better
Old 02-26-2003, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Bracklynn target about 24 by 24 that stops the arrows. If your worrying about missing that just throw a half a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood behind it.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 10-15 yard range set up in my garage. I have a 3 sections of 1 1/2" polystyrene insulation backed by a 3/4" sheet of plywood then use an " Arrow Brake" bag target to shoot at. So far it has worked great.

One other bonus it that my kids use the same setup to shoot their BB guns.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:22 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

BCY offers backstop material, but it' s a little pricey. If anyone needs it, I can help--beats paying retail at least. Old carpet, hung loosely (nap out) works pretty good also.

Chad
Old 02-26-2003, 06:27 PM

I have a 10 yard shot in my basement. Just took my Morrell' s target in from outside for the winter and set it up in the basement. Works great.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:20 PM

Hey CT Bowhunter, you just got to be tough or a little touched like me[&:]. I put on the gloves and a hooded sweat shirt and hit the yard. The last ice storm, I was shooting with ice and snow coming down. My wife looked out the window and just shook her head. When I finally went inside she said " your really bored aren' t you" . I just have to go shoot a little when the bows start calling me[:-] Don
Old 02-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

We dont shoot to much at the excelesior up here mainly due to heads or hole shafts (if alum) freezing in the bails.

So I picked up a burlap bag for a whopping 3 bucks, almost 50 gallon size. Filled it full of the feed stores trash shrink wrap (clear cellophane they use to secure pallet items with during shipping, any company that has stuff coming in on pallets should have it free). Stuffed it, put it on 2 rubber maids, and wammo, the cheapest longest lasting target I have had to own for 3 bucks and a tad bit of gas. If you get the smaller bags, get 2, put one in front of the other. Dont shoot at the same hole over and over again at 5 steps with only the one smaller bag or you' ll be patching holes in the wall, you can take that to the bank[&:] I hunt it up in a closet for awhile with a saftey harness strap. Took some parachute cord, tied the burlap off with it and made a loop, then tied on using that loop. We could shut the door when company came and no one would know the diff!

not bad for living in a 3bedroom condo eh [8D]
Old 02-27-2003, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey lilhunter what happen if by chance you miss and the arrow goes through the sheetrock and someone is in the next room that you do know about, or it goes through the next wall also? Hope its a brick exterior wall you have as a backstop. Just a thought to ponder.

Quick Reply: Winter shooting backdrop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.