HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   At what yardage do you guys "lose it"? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/240721-what-yardage-do-you-guys-lose.html)

GMMAT 04-04-2008 06:08 AM

At what yardage do you guys "lose it"?

I'm shooting my first 3D course, Sunday.....and the max distance is 20yds.

If you were me......and you wanted to shoot these shoots, some.....would you practice at 25-30yds more?

IMO.....I don't think it does us AS much good as it does the compound shooter......to shoot at longer yardages. "I" think, as a trad shooter, you need to practice the ALL "actual" yardages to become proficient at them.

Fro example......if I can hit at 30 w/ my compound......I KNOW I can hit at 20 and everywhere in between. I don't think that's necessarily so with traditional gear. I think you'd also need to practice all the in between yardages.

What say ye?

LBR 04-04-2008 06:25 AM

RE: At what yardage do you guys "lose it"?

Practicing at long ranges is a great aid to accuracy. You will be able to judge your consistency, arrow flight, etc. better. If you can group arrows at 50 yds, 20 yds is a piece of cake. It also helps you learn to focus better--just like grouping, if you can pick a tiny spot at 50 yds, it makes picking a spot at 20 a lot easier.

Chad

JimPic 04-04-2008 07:23 AM

Agree with LBR.I'll never shoot at a deer at 30-40yds,but I practice shooting distance

bigcountry 04-04-2008 07:40 AM

Ever since I practice 80% of the time at 25-35 yards, now, I have 100% confidense in 0-22yard shots. Its really changed my mental outlook up to 22yards.

Schultzy 04-04-2008 07:55 AM

Anything over 20 yards is still a tough one for me. Some years I'm deadly at 20 to 25 yards and then the next year I'm terrible. I don't hardly practice much past 25 yards because I get so frustrated at my shooting. Maybe its something I should do but so far I've had no reason to practice out that far being I won't shoot past 20 yards hardly at all. My longest shot at a deer was 22 yards twice. I drilled a doe both times double lunging them both. I've also passed up many shots at 20 yards because it just didn't feel right. Heck I've passed up shots at 15 yards cause it didn't feel right, follow your instincts being most of the time there telling you something! It all Depends on how I feel at the time I guess. Do what you think you need to do Jeff, its probably a good idea to practice out the far. It might make them 20 yard shots seem allot easier for you. Just don't over due yourself in a hunting situation.

GMMAT 04-04-2008 08:11 AM

Believe me, guys....just because I'm shooting at foam from 20.....don't mean I'd shoot at a live target at that yardage;)

GMMAT 04-04-2008 08:13 AM

Schultzy....I agree with your thinking. That deer on your right.....behind me in my avatar.....was at 0 yds twice, 9 yds, once.....with me......and I never loosed an arrow at him w/ a compound.;)

Schultzy 04-04-2008 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Believe me, guys....just because I'm shooting at foam from 20.....don't mean I'd shoot at a live target at that yardage;)
I know what your saying Jeff.;) The sad thing is so many people don't give these deer the opportunity to get any closer. Allot of people are firing away at 20 and 30 yards thinking there not going to get any closer. Allot of times they will get closer as you know this yourself. I'm sure you will do fine Jeff, you seem devoted to me.

Double Creek 04-04-2008 10:01 AM

Shooting at longer ranges will force you to tighten up those form imperfections and will make you a better shot at all ranges for the most part... I do most of my shooting at 20yds, but this year I'm moving that back to 30 yds.... If you can get "decent" groups at 30, you will money at 15 and very good at 20....

A 20yd shot at game is a pretty long shot! It is for me atleast.

BowHuntingFool 04-04-2008 12:12 PM

I'll practice some longer distances until my arrows start to drop off, then I get discouraged and screws with my head! I'm have more confidence with my Longbow than my Compound now a days! Its me, the bow and that spot where I'm putting my arrow! Nothing else, thats the way I like it! I practice from 17' feet up on a daily basis, and I mean at least 50-60 arrows daily! I go to the park and shoot the bales at various distances from the ground a few times a week! I like Big Country's idea of shooting different distances and not getting into a rut, its helped me big time! I like to walk around and pick a spot and shoot, I love it! I haven't yet had the chance to do some stumpin yet due to weather but looking forward to that as much as this coming turkey season in 2 weeks!