Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 At what yardage do you guys "lose it"? >

At what yardage do you guys "lose it"?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

At what yardage do you guys "lose it"?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: At what yardage do you guys "lose it"?

I've only stepped back from far distances a couple times just to try and force myself to be consistent. Other than that I don't see how focusing on long shots, is going to allow you to hit well close. You still need to train your eye/brain to know what the sight picture looks like at close distances.
BUT these guys have a lot more time involved in this so I may be full of it.

Most of my practice is 15-20 yds. And I am good there. I'm not as good at 8-10 with that 1st arrow. That tells me I need to shoot more at 8-10.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

I practice quite a bit out to50 yards. I do so, not to take hunting shots at that range but, to fine tune my release and form and make my shooting at shorter ranges that much better. The further away you get from a target, the better your release and form has to be in order to make the shot.My close rangeshooting hasreally benefittedfrom the long range practice.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

I practice quite a bit out to50 yards. I do so, not to take hunting shots at that range but, to fine tune my release and form and make my shooting at shorter ranges that much better. The further away you get from a target, the better your release and form has to be in order to make the shot.My close rangeshooting hasreally benefittedfrom the long range practice.
This does make allot of sence. I may do this some in the future.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot a few rounds from 40 the other day. Talk about a leap of faith......

When I aim my bow that far above my target..........and think in my head I'm gonna hit it??????

LEAP OF FAITH!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 PM

I shoot instinctively out to 25 yrds, and then start referencing the arrow tip for farther distances. What I do when shooting a new bow or hunting setup is to first find my "point on" distance. THis is the distance where when I look at the target andput the arrow tip (in my peripheral vision) right on the target, it hits the spot. Mostly around 35-40 yrds on my hunting setups. Once I have that distance, you will be surprised on how well you can shoot at far distances. Depending on the size of the target, you can usually go back another 5-8 yrds and still keep the arrow tip on the top of the target and hit it. Once I have to get the tip over the target, I'm done LOL.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

For me...with not a ton of practice I can shoot well enough to very confidently shoot deer at 20 yards and closer...if i practice hardcore i can shoot ok out to 25 (I consider it good if i can hit a football 9 out of 10 shots) but something happens after 25...ive never been able to shoot well past that point...and to me shooting farther distances just makes me lose confidence...However my dad is a SUPER shot out to 30-35 yards...he practices for at least 25 minutes a day...he shoots a lot of 3d tourneys and almost allways takes first or second...and he says the secret is to practice at 50 yards or farther because it forces you to "focus" more