HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Why recurve over longbow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/240012-why-recurve-over-longbow.html)

GMMAT 03-31-2008 05:38 AM

Why recurve over longbow?

Why did you choose recurve over the longbow?

If you own both.....why would you choose to hunt with the recurve over the longbow.

I also know some hunt with both.....but why would you choose it .....even on a given day?

Thanks.

burniegoeasily 03-31-2008 06:45 AM

RE: Why recurve over longbow?

I shoot them both. I like all bows. I shot everything.

Double Creek 03-31-2008 06:51 AM

I went back and forth for a couple years before I settled on a recurve.. I LOVE shooting a longbow and I've shot my best scores with an Adcock CX, but I just felt I was more consistently accurate shot to shot with a recurve.. For me, form seems less critical with a recurve vs a longbow.

My black widow just hasa grip I love and has a good bit of mass weight, which impoves my shooting tremendously. It also has that intangible trait of "shoots where you look".. Or in other words, it just points good FOR ME... I've gone through about 30 different longbows and recurves over the last 4 years and finally settled on this old clunker..Its old and ugly, but its mine and I love it! :D

LBR 03-31-2008 07:20 AM

I shot a recurve this weekend for the first time in years, other than bowfishing or just a few shots to see how a bow felt, etc. I plan to shoot a tournament or two with it this summer--the TN Classic has an "Iron Man" class where you are required to compete with longbow, selfbow, and recurve. I generally shoot the longbow and selfbow classes anyway, so I figured "why not?".

I prefer the feel of a longbow, the lighter mass weight, the quieter shot, the grip (on mine). I can shoot a recurve accurately, I just prefer my longbow.

Chad

bigcountry 03-31-2008 07:29 AM

I know I like the draw of a longbow better, the quietness. But I like the grip of a recurve better. And the grip is important. I used to think a recurve of same weight and length could easily out-perform a longbow. But my 50# savannah is a tad faster than my 50# dreamcatcher. But the savannah is reflex deflex, and close to being a recurve.

I think for most, its the comfortable grip. I have been shooting my osage self bow alot lately, and that straight grip is tough on the wrists.

rybohunter 03-31-2008 09:34 AM

I'm with bigcountry, it's the grip. Ishot a recurve LONG time ago. When I got back to trad stuff, I went with a long bow almost for no particular reason as i shot both when I was looking. BUT after a while of shooting, I realized I didn't really like the grip on a traditional longbow. SoI went to start looking again at recurves. Then out of chance I shot the bow I currently have. Its a reflex/deflex longbow, but the grip is very similar tothose found on recurves. Its got performance, quietness and a grip that I love....so I am really happy with it.

Schultzy 03-31-2008 10:12 AM

No really big reason for me. Its what I bought at the time and its what I still shoot. Longbows are lighter in weight so I could possibly see myself getting one in the future.

burniegoeasily 03-31-2008 10:20 AM

Why I choose one over the other? Just the mood im in when I head out. Or the latest ive been shooting the most. No reason at all.

I forgot to add that to my post.;)

PA Hardwoods 03-31-2008 10:25 AM

I honestly have not found a longbow yet that I really like as much as my Chek-Mate Hunter II recurve or for that matter my 1968 Bear Kodiak Magnum. I just don't shoot most of the longbows I pick up as well as I do those recurves. But I could see myself possibly likeing a longbow like Rybo's reflex deflex style longbow, or possibly another hybrid one with a riser more like a recurve. Like some mentioned above I think it has something to do with the grip for me too.

LBR 03-31-2008 02:36 PM

On the subject of grips....I don't like the "traditional" longbow grip at all (straight, narrow on the belly side). It's not comfortable or consistent for me, and I don't like to shoot with an extreme low wrist. The grip on my longbow isnt' exactly a recurve grip, but it's a far cry from a straight grip. Fits like a glove--very comfortable and consistent. I couldn't care less if someone doesn't consider it "traditional"--it works for me.

Chad