Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 20 yard mental barrier >

20 yard mental barrier

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

20 yard mental barrier

Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 20 yard mental barrier

I discussed this with Matt/PA a few days ago, and I'm running into this full force. Where the heck does that block come from? I can put an arrow into the kill zone of my 3D deer target ALMOST every time at 10-15 yards. ALMOST 'cause I'm still learning. At 20 yards, it all changes, and I miss the entire stupid deer or get a nasty gut shot or neck shot as often as I hit the kill zone. What causes the mental block? Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 20 yard mental barrier

Get more practice. Could be a form error, could be a focus problem. Don't worry about 20 yds right now--get your form down, work on your focus.

I don't step off or measure yardage--that might help also.

Chad
Old 03-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

vision

Your vision probably doesn't allow you to PICK the exact spot you want to hit. Thus your focus is lost.

Do me this ..... tonight put a quarter size white or bright yellow spot on you target. Step to 20 yards or 25 yards.

I'd be shocked if you don't group tight. Why ? You now have something to focus on, a bright spot todraw you to.

try it
Old 03-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LBR

Get more practice. Could be a form error, could be a focus problem. Don't worry about 20 yds right now--get your form down, work on your focus.

I don't step off or measure yardage--that might help also.

Chad
Yep, practice allot more! Another thing to like LBR mentioned it could be form. To me it sounds more like a form problem or maybe a bad release. With these Traditional bows your holding 100% of the weight on your fingers so the farther out you shoot the more its going to show with a bad release (more time for the arrow to move in either direction shooting longer distances). Usually thats the case with me when I extend my yardage when practicing and when I start missing bad its usually my release causing most of the problems.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

My form can be my best friend or my biggest enemy!!!!!! I know when I don't have my proper form! I see it mostly in my arrow flight! Practice, practice practice... is too much fun not to!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

How is your tuning?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

How is your tuning?
As a general rule, my tuning is pretty good. My sister says I sing a little flat sometimes, but at the higher ranges, I tend to go a little sharp.....

In case you haven't guessed by now, I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. How in the world do you tune a longbow?[X(]
Old 03-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some good reading here - might help with your sister if not your shooting

http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
Old 03-21-2008, 06:52 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Big Duane

vision

Your vision probably doesn't allow you to PICK the exact spot you want to hit. Thus your focus is lost.

Do me this ..... tonight put a quarter size white or bright yellow spot on you target. Step to 20 yards or 25 yards.

I'd be shocked if you don't group tight. Why ? You now have something to focus on, a bright spot todraw you to.

try it
BD got it right. Its all mental

Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Some good reading here - might help with your sister if not your shooting

http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
Yup. Reads very plainly... kind of like "bow tuning for dummies".... just what I need.

Quick Reply: 20 yard mental barrier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.