Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Ben Pearson Deerslayer? Suck or OK? >

Ben Pearson Deerslayer? Suck or OK?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Ben Pearson Deerslayer? Suck or OK?

Old 02-04-2003, 05:37 PM

Default Ben Pearson Deerslayer? Suck or OK?

Hey everybody!
I lurk around in this section, but haven't posted here yet. I shoot compounds only so far, but I've always wanted to get a recurve and finally did. I wanted to get some opinions from the experts on the bow I got....Tell me what you think.

Deerslayer special Ben Pearson 730-58. 40# at 28". I don't know how old it is...I got it on ebay and the seller knows nothing about bows.

What kind of speed and KE can I expect from this setup with say...a 500gr arrow?? Will this have enough power to kill a deer or will it be a "for fun/target" type bow.

I will be getting some arrows with the FLU-FLU feathers to do a little small game after I figure out how to shoot without a cable, cam, sight, stabilizer, release and peep!LOL

Thanks in advance! Here's a pic...

Trushot }}------>
Old 02-04-2003, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Ben Pearson Deerslayer? Suck or OK?

One more question...How do you figure out what length sting to use? Is there some kind of formula or is it trial and error and experience?? Thanks!

Trushot }}------>
Old 02-04-2003, 09:37 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of traditional archery. The fact that you started out on the other side and have interest in one stringers makes you a perfect candidate for the disease. Beware! There is no cure. To answer your last question first, it looks like you've got a 58" bow. Buy a dacron AMO 58" string.
I don"t know what compound you've been shooting, but compared to what's out there, the bow you bought is going to shoot like a four wheel compound. That's not a problem in the deer woods though, as I know a fella that still takes deer every year with a four wheeler because he can't see paying $400+ for something that makes a lot of noise, is hard to draw, and don't make 'em any deader than his old whitetail. Just keep in mind that you'll need to get a little closer to your target, as you'll find at the range. Plinking and small game hunting is an excellent way to get the feel for your equipment. I would recommend starting with economy priced arrows.
There have been many a deer killed with 35# bows, however, in their infinite wisdom, many legislatures have set the minimum hunting bow weight at 40#, not taking into consideration the effect different draw lengths have on arrow flight. You're bow will kill a deer, just get close, and make sure you're broadheads are shaving sharp.
Once again, welcome, and if you have any more questions, the guys on here are great and more than willing to help out. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pearson doesn't carry quite the glamour that Bear and Wing bows do but, to use your terminology, they don't suck.

There should be a place on the handle where it shows the AMO string length for the bow. I would take the bow to the shop to buy the string though, just in case a little trial and error is called for. Stay away from Fastflight and only use B-50 on those old bows. They aren't designed to handle the new stuff.

How much speed and energy you get out of that bow depends a lot on your draw length. I would get a lot more out of it at 32" draw than someone with a 26" draw. Just assuming that you draw 28" and that the bow hasn't lost any draw weight over the years and still draws 40 pounds at 28", it would probably shoot a 500 gn arrow around 160 fps. It would slip a good sharp broadhead thru a deer's rib cage inside 20 yards (check your state's draw weight minimum!) and it will be an excellent small game/3D bow.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:48 AM

Thanks Guys,
As far as the compound, I'm shooting Bowtech Mighty Mite with all the bells and whistles now and like it a lot. 390gr arrow @ 285-289fps with a 28"draw and 31.25 ATA. The Alpha and the Omega! One extreme to the other!
In the areas I prefer to hunt(THICK), I'll never get a shot over 20 yards anyway. All the shots I took last year(3) were under 12 so I know how to get close.

Fastflight and B-50, excuse my ignorance here...are things string brand names or styles?

I'll definitely take it to a good shop to get looked at before I string it. Being From MI. I don't think there's a minimum draw weight or any restriction on bows for that matter. I'll double check to make sure.

Thanks for all the advice and comments!

Trushot }}------>
Old 02-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fastflight, Dynaflight, 450+, nitroexcellerent... All are modern types of low stretch string materials. B-50 is good ol' stretchy dacron. The modern string materials have to be used on bows that are specially reinforced at the limb tips to withstand the extra stress that low stretch strings put on the bow. Dacron has plenty of give to it, so it's safe for bows that would be destroyed by the high tech strings.

Good luck with it, and enjoy!
Old 02-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a deerslayer, it was my fist traditional hunting bow. Mine is 50#. 40# is enough for deer but not legal in many places. They are fine bows.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"