Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 left wing/right wing, does it make a difference >

left wing/right wing, does it make a difference

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

left wing/right wing, does it make a difference

Old 12-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: left wing/right wing, does it make a difference

Besides mattering when shooting of the knuckles, it also matters if you are shooting a single bevel broadhead. You don't want the two working against each other.
Bob,
Would you mind explaining that one a little bit?Which way do you want the arrow to spin in relation to the beleved edge?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The single bevel will continue "twisting" when passing through something, which is good. A double bevel will "push" through it. It's important to match a right bevel with a right wing fletching (a grizzly is right beveled). A left wingfletching could counter the right sharpened bevel.

Below is a pic of a left beveled BH:

Damage to Whitetail:

I'm quoted Dr Ashby below:

Judging from the volume of questions I've received, I need to clarify the effect and importance of matching the arrow's fletching-induced rotation to that caused by the broadhead's single-bevel as the arrow penetrates. I'll try to make them as clear as I can.

(1) Use right-wing fletching with a right single-bevel, such as the Grizzly.

(2) Use left-wing fletching with a left single-bevel, such as the Abowyer.

(3) If you mismatch fletching and bevel induced rotation, penetration decreases dramatically. The average penetration loss ranges from 42% for the high mechanical advantage (MA) broadheads to 67% for broadheads having very low MA. When you consider the average outcome for a verity of possible hits, by failing to match fletching and bevel-induced rotation you're cutting your arrow's penetration potential in half!

(4) Yes, even when mismatched, many times the penetration will still be sufficient when fletching and bevel-induced rotation don't match – but it will be far less than when they match.

(5) Yes, the big difference is on bone-impacts. The penetration difference is smaller on shots having only soft-tissue impact.

(6) When everything goes right, it will make little difference if bevel-induced rotation matches that caused by the broadhead.

(7) When things go wrong, it can make a BIG difference.

(8) With broadheads having equal mechanical advantage, a double-beveled broadhead will average more penetration than a MISMATCHED single-bevel.

(9) Yes, despite the penetration loss, you'll still gain many of the other single-bevel advantages listed in the article. But what you've lost is a lot of 'force advantage'. You've wasted a lot of arrow force that you could have usefully-applied to penetration; but the biggest thing you've squandered is much of the single-bevel's bone-splitting potential.

(10) One of the big variables in bevel-induced bone splits is the amount of force applied by the bevel against the bone. It determines how hard the bone's resistance 'pushes-back' on any given degree and amount of bevel, which, in turn, determines the blade's rotational force and the amount of torque the broadhead's face will re-apply onto the bone. This is a huge single-bevel advantage you're depleting when your fletching rotation and bevel-induced rotation don't match. The heavier the bone involved, the more difference the arrow-force you've lost is going to make in the outcome.

(11) Absolutely. If you don't match the arrow's rotation in flight to that caused by the bevel in tissue, you'll get more average penetration using a double-beveled broadhead of equal MA - and, as Howard Hill stated regarding the outcome of any given hit; "all else being equal, penetration is the name of the game". He was absolutely correct … and that's precisely why it's so important that you match the rotation your fletching causes and that your single-bevel broadhead causes.

I hope this answers most of questions.

Ed
Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW[:-]

Now it makes sense, I was picturing a single bevel broadhead as having both of the bevels on one side or the other which didn't make sense to me as mattering which way it spun.......it's a lot clearer now that you posted a picture as I have never looked closely at a Grizzly head.

Very cool! Thanks.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:53 PM

In the 60,s and 70.s thats all you could get was lift wing feathers. It had some thing to do with turkeys dragging of the right side of the wing feather and the way they clipped it off to, so they couldn't fly away. How they are pined up in high tech pins and not out strutting around are flying away. They can get the right side and you can buy right wing any were.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, just to clear something up, the picture I posted above was a left beveled home made broadhead.

Below is a picture of a Grizzly before and after sharpening:

Old 01-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, just to clear something up, the picture I posted above was a left beveled home made broadhead.

Below is a picture of a Grizzly before and after sharpening:
Got it, I still understood what you mean.......that you want the lead edge of the bevel spinning into the target not the bevel itself. Good stuff.
Grizzly make a screw in version or do I have to mount them on an adapter?? I haven't graduated to wood arrows yet.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup, I use aluminum adapters. With the 190 grain Grizzly's total weight is about 225 after sharpening.

Their 100 grain come to about 142 grains with aluminum adapters.

You could also use steel adapters which would add about an additional 75 grains.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

i would like to thank you guys for the info, especially you BobCo. didnt know about single edge heads but i will difinatly keep that in mind. that is one thing i love about this site, everyone is so willing to help those of us who don't know but want to learn and we can get several different perspectives on a topic.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Banned

let me say that after all I've done hunting, I'm really beginning to believe a Grizzly type head to be the very best to hunt with .... its going to be on my arrows in 2008