Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 installing beaver "balls" how to? >

installing beaver "balls" how to?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

installing beaver "balls" how to?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default installing beaver "balls" how to?

Big brown truck dropped off my new bear supermag. I also ordered beaver fur string silencers, and found them to be strips. Not sure what I was expecting, really.

Anyway, no instructions on how to install them to get that puffed up ball look. Is there a how to or tutorial here showing the process? If not can someone please explain what I need to do?

I also want to put yarn on the ends of the string to help quiet limb slap. I assume (hope) I can get a yarn that will work at Walmart as it's the only place around and I forgot to order it with the other stuff.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: installing beaver "balls" how to?

Well first you get a beaver..then you turn her upside down. Then.............??
Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, you run the end of the fur strip through the string about 1/4", then wrap the strip around the string. When I make a wrap, I pull the fur on the previous wrap up out of the way of the one I'm putting down. It helps to get that nice 'puff ball' effect if half the fur isn't trapped underneath the wraps. Make your wraps snug, and fairlytight against each other. Then when you get to the end of the strip, stick that end through the string like you did on top. It'll look a little bedraggled at first, but after you shoot a few shots, the fur will poof out and it'll look fine.

Ya know, I've wrapped yarn around a few recurve strings, but never noticed it had much silencing effect. But yeah, the stuff you get at WalMart is fine. Real wool, if you can get it. Don't forget the fabric stores though. They'll have a better selection.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

You may want to get some bow hushes for the limb slap. They are wool and work well. Also, a piece of moleskin will work wonders.

The position of the silencers are also important. Art has a good method of finding the correct postion.

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Another way of finding the sweet spot for silencers... String up your bow and sit in front of your computer. Find a web page with a light background. Hold the bow up in front of the monitor, so the string is backlit. Then twang the string and you'll get a strobe effect from the monitor so you can see the string oscillations. Do it in several spots on each end, and you'll see the highest point of oscillation. That's the best spot to put your silencers.

And yes, I DO have too much time on my hands.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

But I bet you waited until you were alone in the house first before you sat down behind your computer with your bow in hand. Didn't want to look like a fool, just in casethis was another of those hunting camp type tricks. Right?

It really does work.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nah, at this point, my wife would'nt even blink.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Well first you get a beaver..then you turn her upside down. Then.............??
Then you say "crap" put her down and search for a male beaver...

Thanks gents.

Hopefully I can get this done soon. I'm guessing it works best if the bow is unstrung when applying the fur?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

But I bet you waited until you were alone in the house first before you sat down behind your computer with your bow in hand. Didn't want to look like a fool, just in casethis was another of those hunting camp type tricks. Right?

It really does work.
I did.And yes--it does work!

Rangeball--do it with the bow unstrung

Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The only thing I'd add to Art's method is before you tuck the end back into the string (after wrapping), shove the wrap up tight towards the end you started with--that will make it more of a ball.

I love the look of fur silencers, but in my experience they don't work as well as cat whiskers, and are a royal pain to adjust if you don't get them in the right spot.

Chad
Old 12-11-2007, 02:10 PM

Make sure you remove them from the Beaver first. The added weight of the Beaver will adversely affect your bow speed.

Quick Reply: installing beaver "balls" how to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.