Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

CAN IT BE DONE

Old 11-20-2007, 12:39 AM

Default CAN IT BE DONE

Hi, I'm new to this section of the web sight, looking for some help.

I've got a custom longbow made by a guy that used to live in Ft. Calhoun Ne., I think his name was Shafer but not sure, last I knew he was an Omaha Ne. cop, building bowsin his spare time, he got hurt, and I don't know much more than that,can't seem to locate him anymore to ask this question so I'm hopping someone here can help.

When I received the bow, hesaid it wasbuilt tillered one over, two under. I recently shot a buddies longbow that was tillered three under and I liked shooting that way, sighting down the arrow sure helps my confidence, seemed to connect quite abit more with the rienhart ball we were shooting that day. So here it is, can I make some simple adjustment, maybein nocking point and still shoot the bow three under without hurting it? Is there a way to retiller my bow for three under? Or is it something that needs to be checked by a craftsman to see if it's possible. I don't have much experience with traditional archery and recenty had some surgery that made put my compound up. My longbow doesnt pull as hard as my compound and it"s smooth draw and lower poundage is something I can manage.

The bow I have is called the billy stick, He also made the billy club, it was a heavier lbs bow. It really is a beautiful bow, very gracefull lines, I'd call it a long bow but it has a very slight recurve to its limbs and a very distinct shelf cut ito its shaped riser/handle. It is a laminated bow with wood and glass, something special on the limb tips he said allowing the use of a fast string. If someone could help I sure appreciate it, I haven't got anymore inf. on the builder, he had a web site years ago that showed various pic's from hunts in Alaska, float hunting for moose etc. but I can't find anything on line that
I know it doesn't have anything to do with my question but I want to tell the story of how I came to own the bow, hopefully you'll understand andwon't think I'm nuts or over-protective of my bow or my question reguarding the tiller.

Afreind and fellow officer had ordered and bought one ofthese bows and when he went to pick it up I went along, when I inquired about the costs of his work I quickly found out it was out of my budget. When I told him I was left handed he advised he had a bow that had beencut wrong, he had done it after working a night shift and cutthe riserleft handed bymistakeand if I wanted to finish the last sanding andapply the sealer and finish it I could have the deal of the century, I wanted to but couldn't aford it, anyway the friend that Ihad gonewith had told my wife about the bow and the two of them conspired to give me the nicest Christmas gift I could have imagined. I havent shot it much for fear of doing it harm, I had not hunted with it due to not being very confident in my shot placementbut after shooting with my buddy last week I just can't stand leaving it and would like to hunt with next year after I become more confident in my abilities with it and I really would like to shoot three under. I thought it would be great to shoot some 3d with it this coming summer, if I experience the same results with it as I did with my compound bow it should be just the ticket for building my confidence.
Thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CAN IT BE DONE

My buddy went 3-under last year shooting longbows that are tillered split-finger.He shoots much better and the bows are perfectly fine.He did have to raise his nock points a bit though(sorry,not sure how much)
Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

There isn't any problem shooting 3-under with a bow tillered for split. As JimPic said, you just have to raise your nock point higher. Measure from the ends of the riser fade outs to the bow string. On bows tillered for split finger, the bottom limb measures about 1/8-1/4" closer. The closer that measurement is to being same, the better for 3-under and the less you'll have to move the nock point.

Any bow can be retillered for 3-under, at the cost of some 2-5 pounds of draw weight, depending on how much the bottom limb needs to be sanded to get that equal measurement.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

The bow does not have to be tillered for 3 under for you to be able to shoot that way. It won't hurt the bowin any way, shape or form. I've had bows tillered both ways and, truthfully, itdoesn't make a hootsworth of difference. As Jim mentioned, all that you might have to do is raise the nock point just a bit. How much will vary depending on the bow and your release.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

The bow does not have to be tillered for 3 under for you to be able to shoot that way. It won't hurt the bowin any way, shape or form. I've had bows tillered both ways and, truthfully, itdoesn't make a hootsworth of difference. As Jim mentioned, all that you might have to do is raise the nock point just a bit. How much will vary depending on the bow and your release.
I have to agree here. All my trad bows are split finger. A few years back, I went three under. Just raise the knock.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 AM

Good luck on experiencing the same results from a long bow compared toa compound bow....its like comparing taking a beautiful swan dive off a platform.....to being shot out of a cannon.....apples and oranges my friend....i love my long bow though.....at close ranges they can beincredibly accurate.....Kirk