Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 What can you tell me about the Montana Long Bow? >

What can you tell me about the Montana Long Bow?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What can you tell me about the Montana Long Bow?

Old 11-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What can you tell me about the Montana Long Bow?

I've had my eye on this bow for some time. I really like the way it looks, and from all reports I can find it's supposedly a "sweet shooter". I don't have a trad shop anywhere close to me so the only way I can put my hands on one is to order it, so I'm looking for input. I tried to search here before asking, but I've not been able to get the $&%*@* search engine to work for some time [:@]

Anyway, I like the reflex deflex design. Does it really control hand shock? How quiet is the bow generally? The martin x-200 I'm now shooting is cut past center and 45# at 28". I'm shooting CE terminators with 200 grains up front. If I go up 10# with the MLB can I likely use these same arrows (I was thinking of going with more weight because I can handle it, not just because I am a cheap $%*. Using the same arrows would just be a bonus )

I am concerned about shooting it out of a pop up ground blind I recently purchased, the Ameristep Grizzly. Anyone shooting it successfully out of this or any other blind?

I like the forward handle deflex design of the Shrews, etc. Is the MLB like this? What's the brace height? Any problems with wrist slap?

Is the shelf radiused or crowned? Is the high spot above the grip like it should be? When shooting off the shelf how close is the shaft to your bow hand?

Any input is greatly appreciated
Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What can you tell me about the Montana Long Bow?

It's been a few years since I've held one, so they may have made some changes. The ones I've seen were not impressive to me. The 2x4 grip was a huge turn-off. I'm not a woodworker, and even if I were when you start whittling you void the warranty.

Again, it's been a while, so things may have changed.

Chad
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Chad.

I've read several posts at different places referencing the big boxy grip, with several modifying it, and many saying bear changed the grip and it's fine now.

Sure would be nice to know for sure.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought one several months ago, new, at the urging of Matt/PA who shoots one. I love mine. I'm used to the bowtech smaller grip on my wheel bows....and the size of the MLB grip doesn't turn me off in the least.

I just go tmine wrapped up in camo tape and the beaver balls added, last night. More to come, later.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT, I read some of your posts, specifically about the input you received from Matt/PA. I searched for his comments, to no avail. I was hoping you would show up and point me in the right direction to where I might find his input?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Most everything Matt shared with me was via PM. I'm sure he'd be happy to share the same info with you. Send him a note.

Good luck! I LOVE my MLB!