Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Backing a bow?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Backing a bow?

I found a bow blank on ebay (oak) and since I had been thinking of going to a traditional bow the appeal of my completing my own bow was too much for me to resist.

In the write up the seller mentioned "The measurements for this bow should bring you around45# after a backing is applied and final sanding has been done".

What does the backing do? I went a site 3 rivers archery and found the supplies just not sure what and why to choose one type over another.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Terry
Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backing a bow?

What wood is your bow stave ?
and how many LBS is it now ?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:01 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Depends on what type backing material you use, how thick it is, etc. Some will increase weight, some are just for strength and/or to keep the bow from splitting (especially if a growth ring wasn't followed on the back), some are just for looks (snakeskin).

Chad
Old 10-16-2007, 06:07 AM

The whole thing is oak. Looks like one piece from the pictures.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some common wood backingswould be hickery or bamboo. Be careful with the hickery, because it does have memory. If you want to be more primitive, sinew or rawhide.Like chad said, they are mainly used to stengthen or keepthe blank from splitting.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would definitely back an oak bow. All the ones I've made from oak broke after a short while when I didn't back them. Never have broken a backed oak bow.

Just to keep the bow from breaking, all you need is a silk backing. They've got heavy silk cloth for draperies at just about any fabric store and one yard is enough to do several bows. It will not change the bow's draw weight or mess up the tiller at all. Silk is a natural material so, even though it has been woven into cloth, it falls into the primitive category as well.

Backing with a wood or bamboo lamination will raise the draw weight. You'd need to scrape the limbs back to the draw weight you want and retiller the bow if you go that route. Don't go too thick with the bamboo if you use it. Bamboo is a lot stronger in tension than oak is in compression. If the bamboo is too thick it will overpower the oak belly, crysalize the wood fibers and ruin the bow pretty quickly.

You can use rawhide too, but rawhide is more expensive than silk, doesn't add any draw weight or performance and it's heavier than silk. It'd cut down the bow's cast and make it sluggish.

I wouldn't advise going with sinew for a first timer, and I wouldn't waste it on an oak bow anyway. I'd use that for a bow made from top notch bow wood like osage or yew.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 AM

Great information guys. Thanks a lot. I will heed to your advice.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 AM
bigcountry

I don't know jack about backing a bow. But I read primative archery, and they have backed several bows with rawhide, gar, etc, and they always say it increases draw, espeically rawhide. And I have always questioned how it actually helps cast. So now you guys are saying, it actually will make a bow sluggish? It makes sense.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 AM

Hide and sinew will increase the bow weight. Actually, they have both been known to constantly increase a bows draw weight over time. Silk will help strengthen the wood on the back of the bow by acting like a clamp. Bamboo is like natures carbon. It will strengthen the back and help give it better cast. Especially if you apply bamboo to the back and belly.

For backing with silk, hide or sinew you can use tite bond 2 or 3. If you back with another wood use smooth on glue. All bow staves will have string follow after shooting. The only way to combat this is by steaming or heating a reflex into the stave and allowing to set in a form. The amount of string follow will decrease the bows draw weight as well.