Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrow Weight

Old 08-25-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Arrow Weight

Over the past few months i have been on HNI I have read a few things about arrow weight for traditional bowhunting. Now I think that most people aim for 400 grains in totalfor a whitetail arrow. But, then when it comes to bigger dangerous game like bears they want like 750 grains. Well my qeustion is, how do you get a 750 grain arrow to match to your bow if all you have been shooting is whitetail arrows? Do you just have to get a 750 grain arrow with the right spine then get used to shooting with it before your hunt?
Old 08-25-2007, 04:44 PM

Default RE: Arrow Weight

i use carbons, with wt tubes and a brass insert with 150 gr broadhead. i did have to cut them down a little bit.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:08 PM

Redneck I learned to use about 10 grains total arrow weight per pound of draw at your draw length.

But don't take my word for it. Have you joined the Leatherwall forum at Stickbow.com or Trad Gang? HNI is great, but there are lots of trad only shooters on these sites.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/threadsx2.cfm

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Old 08-25-2007, 05:56 PM

Yes, I have been to those a few times but am not sighned up yet. You guys really haven't answered my question. I ask how you change your arrow weight for different game animals with out throwing out the wack of your bow do to the spine of the arrow.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 PM

You change the type of arrow you use. As stated, 8 to 10 grains per pound is the norm for whitetail.I shoot 55#'s, I use a 550 grain cedar arrow for deer. I could use less but, The bow is much quieter and performs muchbetter. I'm going on a wild bore hunt at the end of Jan 08. I'll move up to a 60 lbs bow with a 750 grain arrow. You do this by either using weight tubes like manboy said, They come in 2, 3, 5, and 8 grains per inch. Which will only increase the weight of the carbon or aluminum arrow, or like I'll do, is use a lamenated birch arrow instead of cedar. There are many hard wood shafts that are excellent heavy arrows. Maple, Ash, Oak, Hickory andLam. Birch are a few. You can ask for a hard wood arrow that is spined for 50/55's and weigh 600 grains bare shaft. Which will give you about 650 grains at 28 incheswhen finished.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Ok, but with this extra grain arrow, do I have to go to a heavier bow, so that they are spined right or can I shoot them out of my normal draw weight #45 at 28''. My DL with a trad bow is 28''.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't have to go up in bow weight--you may have to go up in arrow spine if you use a heavy head to get the arrow up to the desired weight
Old 08-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Ok, gotcha. But, do they make special arrows other than wood that are desighned for tough hide dangerous game. I mean do they make an arrow that is heavier than normal just to get your arrow weight up instead of depending on the head to do that? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:51 PM

redneck,
i use a gt 55/75 out of a 56# longbow and out of a 60# longbow, i have a buddy, huntnmuleys, he also has a recurve that is 65# at 26.5" and uses 55/75.
the point is that if you choose a carbon shaft you could add wt tubes as i did for my up coming moose hunt in sept. or you could take them out for a little more speed on the whitetail hunts.
it is all just a little time tuning to get what you need. remember the length of you shaft makes a huge differance on the stiffness, and also how heavy of a broadhead you use.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grizzley Stix weigh in at 15gr/inch--one of the heaviest carbons on the market.If you want to get arrow weight up but don't want to use a heavy head,you can use weight tubes,weedeater line,poly rope in the arrow to do that

Quick Reply: Arrow Weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.