HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   First Recurve bow purchase! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/19997-first-recurve-bow-purchase.html)

bronco73 12-31-2002 01:13 PM

First Recurve bow purchase!

I am interested in getting into traditional archery. I currently have a 65% let-off Hoyt "wheeled bow" which is set-up at around 62-65#. I have a 28" draw, and am trying to guess where I should start as far as weights. I am thinking of a 50# bow. Now for the fun part, what kind of bow should I buy? I have been looking at the Bear "Cheyenne" model which is 55" in length. I live in Illinois, and hunt from a tree stand. Any thoughts on similar Martin bows, or this Chek Mate which everybody seems to know.

Coop 12-31-2002 01:57 PM

RE: First Recurve bow purchase!

50-55 pouds max to start. That sounds light until you feel the full weight with zero letoff. Spend a day shooting a 30-40 tagret 3-D and you'll wish you had a 45 pounder, lol.

I would suggest shooting a few bows before you buy, especially if you're thinking new. But Chek-Mate's are great and Martin's are very nice also. If you're draw length is 28" with a compound expect to lose an inch or two with a stick. I shot 29.5" with wheels, but shoot 28" even with a recurve.

I just sold a Chek-Mate Firebird and I also have a Damon Howatt high speed. I liked them both, and only sold the Chek-Mate because I make my own take-downs and didn't feel I needed it.

LBR 12-31-2002 02:31 PM

My advice is, unless you just have the extra coin lying around, to look around at pawn shops, yard sales, classifieds, etc. and find a good used bow. Starting out, you really have no idea what bow will fit you or what you like. Going used first will let you figure a lot of this out without spending much money. There is no one bow that is perfect for everyone; what one fellow swears BY another might swear AT! Lots of great bows on the market--try to get to some tournaments and try out lots of different bows. See what works best for you, then you will have an idea of what to get when you buy a new one.

Good luck!

Chad

Long Bows Rule!

Wahya 12-31-2002 04:20 PM

I agree that starting with a used bow is the way to go. Start with a low enough weight, 40-45# @28", so that you can concentrate on the mechanics of the shot, without having to worry about if you're reaching full draw because the bow's a little heavy to start with. Or you start shaking after only a few shots. If you go too heavy, you can cause all sorts of problems with your shooting that'll be danged difficult to get rid of.

Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.