HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Wanting to move to Trad, but sooo many ?s. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/199885-wanting-move-trad-but-sooo-many-s.html)

Chance1212 07-30-2007 01:33 PM

Wanting to move to Trad, but sooo many ?s.

I have been kicking around the idea of trying some traditional archery for the past couple of years but never can really make myself commit to it.

I just have so many questions and don't know of anyone around me to solicit for information, so I am coming here.

So, here goes,

I am sure it is personal preference but what would cause a guy to go with a recurve over a long bow.

As far as tuning goes what type of head aches could and should I look forward to.

Can you make some recommendations for a beginner? I don’t mind spending the money on decent set-up but still need something for the beginning trad-guy.

I know I will have many more questions in the future but thanks in advance for the help.

BobCo19-65 07-30-2007 01:55 PM

RE: Wanting to move to Trad, but sooo many ?s.

As far as what type to choose, it's really a personal thing. Some people want to just shoot longbows and there is nothing wrong with that. Seems like most though make the transition to a recurve from a compound somewhat better. I think it is mainly do to the way it is held.

As far as headaches with tuning, don't expect any for a while. You'll only be able to tune as good as you shoot and your form will take a while to develope. I'd say get the recommended arrow for the bow you choose and set your knock about 1/2" above 90 degrees and just shoot.

I'd say to get something decent used in the 45# at your draw area, either a longbow or recurve. I'd also advise not to go too short for your first one. I'd say 62" minimum for a recurve and about 66" for a longbow. Don't go too heavy. You'll have a hard time developing form if you do. You should alsoexpect to loose about 1 1/2" of draw length when moving from compounds to traditional. The nice ting about a used bow is that it should not depreciate much if you decide you don't like it or want to try another style.

Hope that helps.

bigcountry 07-30-2007 07:33 PM

A recurve is going to feel better in your hand, especially if you get one with a medium to high grip. Longbows seem not as comfortable. I feel longbows are smoother, but my longbow is much longer than my recurves. Longer feels smoother IMO.

For the first 6months, all flight issues are going to be you. As bob said, you will start tuning as you develop your skills. After almost 2 years, I am finally to the point, where I can start finding good arrow choices, and still have trouble every once in a while.

Don't worry about buying top of the line at first. I say get something cheap, and start playing. Start reading some books. I read "becoming the arrow", and traditional archery by Brian Sorrells, and Fred Asbell books. I don't agree with all in any, but you get alot from each author.

Chance1212 07-30-2007 08:05 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Well I guess I am going to purchase a recurve,some arrows that match, and start shooting. Maybe by next hunting season I will feel comfortable enough with shooting and tuning to try my luck in the woods. For now the bowtech will be seeing all the treestand action.

Thanks again.

BobCo19-65 07-31-2007 06:48 AM

Chance, I'd suggest you use the chart at arrows by Kelly at Foxfire archery once you get your bow. I believe that is the best arrow chart for traditional bows.

bigcountry 07-31-2007 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Chance, I'd suggest you use the chart at arrows by Kelly at Foxfire archery once you get your bow. I believe that is the best arrow chart for traditional bows.
You have no idea how much time BobCo just saved you with that advise. I went by every other chart other and had way too stiff reaction.

CAJUNBOWHNTR 08-02-2007 05:56 AM

Well it's not a law or anything,you can go both ways.err something about that justdid'nt sound right[:o].Seriously, just get a used recurve and start shooting.You may just find that you enjoy shooting the "trad" bow a lot more.if you don't feel comfortable with your shooting,then hunt with the compound until you do.

CB