Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Anybody Else Shoot Tournaments? >

Anybody Else Shoot Tournaments?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Anybody Else Shoot Tournaments?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:56 AM

Default RE: Anybody Else Shoot Tournaments?

I shoot a good bit of tournaments..... I've been to7 so far this summer and havea few more I plan to attend... I love competing.. I drives me to become the best shot I can be, which only helps my hunting. I still have a long ways to go to compete on a national level, but it sure is fun trying!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

DC, are you going to shoot in the State Games next weekend? We plan to drive down Saturday and give it a whirl. I've never been to that one--have to miss Lost Tribe for it, but.....well, can't shoot 'em all.

Chad
Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot the one's my club runs. All except the all Primitive, which I plan on shooting next year. We have one in January which usually requires snowshoes. :-)

Old 06-12-2007, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: LBR

DC, are you going to shoot in the State Games next weekend? We plan to drive down Saturday and give it a whirl. I've never been to that one--have to miss Lost Tribe for it, but.....well, can't shoot 'em all.

Chad
Probably not Chad. I've been going to a lot here lately and will probably stay home for a few weeks..... I'll check it out though, you never know!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:14 AM

Art and Chad,

I shot field archery from 1977 until 1988, placed in a number of state competitions and happen to believe that one arrow, likely to be the only one that you will get when shooting at game, is not such a bad thing.it makes you bare down. Fred Bear use to say that ifyou could only shoot one arrow a day, make it count.He suggested that you place you bow by the door, when you go outside take the bow. Take that onearrow and shoot it at the target, keep your score weekly.He said that would give you an idea of where you are with yourshooting skills related to hunting.

I never said that you should not work on becoming a better shot, but I don't care what anyone says, bowhunting is about getting close, and should be the priorty in hunting.

How in anyone's mind can it be considered better to take a thirty yard shot, when with a little more effort it could have been half that distance? I stand by my statement that they are two different games, and that there are as good or not better ways to practice for hunting.

I think stump shooting is a better way, I think backyard practice if done properly similar to the way you hunt has got to be better. If in the course of 3D I only get five shots that I would take, how could that be better than have repeated practice at shots I want in the field.

I guess I think bowhunting is a personal thing, no crowds, no cameras, no reporters. Sucess can best be measured by the participant, he/she gets what they put into it. The should be free to experience it with the confinds of fair chase, the law, and ethics. It is like wearing a spandex suit, it fits all, but won't look the same on everyone.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't shoot tourney's butI go to about 8 trad rendezvouz' a year.This weekend is the Sawmill shoot(STAR)here in Pa.-the next one I go to will be Denton Hill
Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

LBR, I've read post on your feats at some of the 3D shoots and had a question for you. On average what percentage are you normally shooting at the events you attend? My son and I go as often as we can find shoots on Saturdays and I was just wondering what the top shooters are shooting out there.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I get lucky here and there--I'm not in the top shooter category. My goal is to shoot at least 80%, or average a "kill" on every target. Some courses are pretty tough, some aren't so tough. I usually get my 80%, and have broken 90%, but there's plenty of folks that are better than me.

Depending on how hard the course it, it's generally going to take a minimum of 80% to win in the longbow class, usually a good bit more. Recurve scores generally run a little higher, selfbow scores a little lower.

Chad
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 AM

Some of our local shoots i have attended are doing away with the trophys. For instance coffee cups with club logo and finish on it, and one shoot i recently went too gave out camp folding chairs with the club logo and finish on the back of the chair. At least this way it is something a person can use, instead of becoming space junk or attic dust collectors. I think this is a great way to go, rather than a trophy or plaque. But for the kids, they would much rather receive a trophy, which i believe gives the kids incentive in shooting there bows. I think its great just watching the kids receive there trophys, the excitement and actions, when they have the trophy in there hands, priceless! But for the adults--does'nt mean much, rather have something you can actually use...RobinHood36>>>======<>