Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 how heavy are your arrows >

how heavy are your arrows

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

how heavy are your arrows

Old 05-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Default how heavy are your arrows

I am a newby to the traditional archery world and for now I am using my old carbon arrows from my compound. I think my arrow weight is about 375 grams w/broadhead and to me i think it might be a lto light.

the arrows dont seem to fly right and i am wondering if the arrows are to light or if there is a different problem

thanks

Old 05-14-2007, 03:44 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: how heavy are your arrows

Number one, you have got to have feathers to fly right. vanes don't work. Also, your bow is going to be loud probably wtih an arrow that light and might have to set the brace height back as far as your manufacture will let you.. I like at least 500grain setups. But I usually only shoot 50lb longbow and recurves. I shoot some cedars taht are 550gr and seem dead quiet when shooting.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 PM

I will let you fellas do the math as I do not know what the grain wt. is but I shoot a 30 inch easton aluminum 2419 with a 190 grain simmons broadhead. It is heavy and slow but in the thickets, my average shot is abot 10 - 15 yds sospeed is not much of a factor.

You will probably need new arrows. I also use 5 inch feather fletch from the primary wing feathers of the turkeys that I have killed. I know many fellows that shoot carbon but rarely is it the same set up as their compound bows.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 AM

I didnt think that I could use the same arrowsfor both compound and recurve but I didnt think that it would make as much difference as it did on my recurve. I guess i will be putting feather on them and heavier tips and seeing what happens.

thanks for the help

Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

You never did mention what poundage you're shooting? Most will consider 375 gr too light, but I've popped the lungs on deer using arrows not much heavier than that, 405 gr to be exact. I typically shoot bows in the 45-50# range. Most folks would be surprisedhow little it takes to put an arrow through a whitetail deer. Shucks, I know a fellow hunter that put a 365 gr carbon through a 200+ pound hog a while back using a 60# recurve. The key though is getting good arrow flight and sharp broadheads. Personally, I feel that's more important than overallarrow weight. An arrow thatflies poorly is going tohave poor penetration no matter how heavy it is.

BC is right about the feathers if you're trying to shoot off the shelf.If you want to keep the vanes, you can set the bow upwith a stick on flipper rest, something like a Neet Pro rest or a Bear Weatherest. I've got a setup that uses a flipper rest and vains just for those not so dry days.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are shooting off the shelf, you need feathers. If you use a rest, then vanes are OK.

Personally, I use at least 10 grains per poundfor my arrows.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

725 w/ 125gr point
Old 05-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

530gr-bows are 51#,53# & 54#
Old 05-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the 10 grains of arrow weightper pound, those arrows shoot plenty flat and you shouldnt have any problem getting your bow to shut up. Its also my opinion that anything to much over 12 grains per pound(13+) is unnecessary in 95% of hunting situations stick right around the 9-12 Grains per # of pull wieght and youll be happy.

Do what you have toin orderto get good Flight with The shafts you have tho.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot 28.5 inch 2114 and 2016 with 125 and 145 heads not sure of the exact arrow weight but its right around 500 grains on both and i like to shoot bows that are 45 to 55 lbs at my draw

Quick Reply: how heavy are your arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.