Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Another Sincere Thank You (Long Read) >

Another Sincere Thank You (Long Read)

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Another Sincere Thank You (Long Read)

Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another Sincere Thank You (Long Read)

I have been meaning to post this for some time, but work and personal commitments have kept me from doing so. Last season was my first with a recurve as many of you know. I have been active on this board for a while now, just never in this forum. When I started asking questions, I was amazed at how willing people were to help. I know I am echoing what has been said in Matt's "thank you" post, but I have a slightly different twist that I will get to in a minute. I know most of you were most likely sick and tired of answering the same old qustions when I asked them, but everyone did, and did so very well. I cannot begin to mention everyone who contributed to me being able to actually hit something with a recurve, but to say I appreciate it would be an understatement. This past season was filled with ups and downs. I managed to kill three deer with the Falcon and I can trully say that those three deer meant more to me than any others I have taken in the past. I also had some painful misses and one wounded buck that will haunt me forever. I was on cloud 9 after my third harvest and I believe it was Bigcountry who could not believe that I had not missed yet. Well, by the end of season I had made up for it and then some.
With that being said I have chosen to go back to a compound. For no reason other than the fact that at this time in my life, with running a business, two kids, etc., I can't dedicate the time needed to improve my skills with a trad. bow. I have bow hunted for 16 yrs. now and up until this past season, I only had one deer that I had hit and not recovered. The one from this past season really left a bitter taste in my mouth. I am not blaming the bow at all, I am blaming myself for not practicing as much as I should have. I thought I was doing well, but I made one very stupid, rookie, mental error, that still affects me, even as I type this. I hope sometime in the future I find myself in the woods with a recurve again, I love shooting them. For now though I think it would be best for me, and the deer, if I stick with a compound.
I'll still check this forum everytime I visit this site. I love reading everyones posts, seeing pics of trad. harvests, and seeing pics of those gorgeous bows. I just wanted to take the time to thank all of you and to let you know why the rookie qustions have stopped from me. I wish you all the best and good shooting.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another Sincere Thank You (Long Read)

Taking three deer on the first year is a very big accomplishment. Stuff happens though, don't beat yourself up on the one that got away, just learn from it.

Thankfully I do have some time to spend practicing pretty much everyday. But when I don't, here is what I do. I get up ten to fifteen minutes early. I shoot right when I get up and am still a bit tired (don't ask why, but I think it is good to do this) just one round of maybe 5-6 arrows, if I'm shooting very good maybe just 3 or so. Then after my shower I just repeat this (clothes of course, and no splits allowed). Just takes 15 minutes and if you do this daily, it adds up. Just shoot with total concentration and make the shots count. If I'm shooting a recurve, it even takes less time since I leave them strung all of the time.

Sorry to hear you go back to the compound.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man I thought I beat myself up bad when I don't recover a deer. I feel for you. I know were your coming from. The recurve I have now is 3 years old and I haven't hunted with it yet, for some of the reasons you stated. The first year I was not confident with it enough to hunt with it and the second year I had problems with my hands and needed a operration.This yearI been shooting it alot and if all goes well I will be in the woods with it for the time on a hunt. I WILL NOT take it on a hunt unless Im confident that I can hit what Im shooting at in my range. But I will be ready and I can't wait to hunt with it this Archery season. Don"t beat yourself up to bad thats part of the game we call Bowhunting!! Good Luck

Hatchet Jack
Old 02-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the kind words guys. I understand that when you participate in this great sport, year after year, you are bound to not recover a wounded deer once in a great while. I still have a very hard time dealing with that.

BobCo, Don't be sorry that I am going back to a compound, I love shooting them as well. Remember, I never said I was completely giving up on the recurve, I just won't be hunting with one for right now. I will be back with one someday. I still have one that I plan to keep just so I can shoot it once in a while, hopefully more in time.

hatchet jack, It sounds like you are ready to hit the woods with yours. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading about a successful hunt with it.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remember, I never said I was completely giving up on the recurve, I just won't be hunting with one for right now. I will be back with one someday.
OK, cool...
Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks rdy2hnt!

Hatchet Jack