Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Flect ?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flect ?

How do most of you flecth your arrows for your Recurve or Longbow? Straight, Offset or Heilical. The reason I ask is because I want to start flecting my own arrows. Before I order my jig and clamps I thought I would see what I need. I have a dozen Grizz Stiks that I want to start with and a bunch of 5in right wing feathers. Im shooting a Great Plains recurve 55#@28" with a flipper rest, but I think I might go back to shooting of the shelf. I also shot 3 fingers under. Thanks!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM

Default RE: Flect ?

I still use an Arizona EZ fletch - right helical, 3 5" shield cut, all white fletching is my favcorite, on carbons that have 10-12" of 3M reflective tape (using platinum fletchtite to bond)

ultra bright arrow in flight, reflects at night, feathers bind extremely strong .......... win win win
Old 02-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Left Heli for me
Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 PM

left is just as good as right IMO ........ whichever I have in hand as long as they're ultra bright colors
Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I used to use right helical, but I found I geta shade bettershelf clearance with left..
Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot 5" right wing feathers (parabolic) offset slightly. I use a Bitzenberger jig when I fletch my own.

If you have right wing feathers, you will have to use a right helical clamp. I bought a used oneat my local pro shop or you can get them oneBay fairly cheap.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:18 AM

Hello, I have fletched offset before but didn't like the perfromace, but I have now for many moons fletched right helical with a Bitzenburg jig.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use left helical, all different types of shape, but never less then 5"
length.

Banana, Parabolic, Poe and Young, Shield....
Old 02-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Helical. Feathers are naturally helical in shape and applying them in straight offset won't let them work just right.

I've always used right helical, because most all the stores in my neck of the woods only carry right wing feathers. I've bought a few dozen arrows made up with left wing feathers though, and really liked how they flew. Just not enough better to justify going out and spending the money on a left wing clamp. I'm a tightwad and readily admit it.

Anyway, make your choice on left or right helical based on what's available at your stores. If you intend to order all your supplies from places that carry both left and right wing, then it doesn't matter.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info. I bought Cabelas jig and a right helical clamp with all the glues and cleaners for $67.50. I can't wait to fletch my first arrow. I should have done this years ago! Thanks again!

Hatchet Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.