Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Are modern recurves really traditional? >

Are modern recurves really traditional?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Are modern recurves really traditional?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 AM

Default RE: Are modern recurves really traditional?

I never saw it to being an issue. It just bugs poor stealthy to death for some reason. For years, its been very important for others to agree with his stance on traditional. When in reality, it only matters to the ones buying the bow.

You can call a puppy a kitten all you want to, but its not a kitten and never will be a kitten, its got no characteristics of what a kitten is .......... its a puppy and always will be, whether you call it a puppy or not.

bigcountry you don't think Fred Bear shot a traditional bow, that pretty much says it all, doesn't it ?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 AM
bigcountry

I don't know buster, never talked to the man to ask him if he thought he shot a traditional bow.

See folks, bugs him to death. Wierdest thing.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 AM

I don't even know what "traditional" means? To me that would be shooting any bow, longbow or recurve without the aid of sights.... To me, that is traditional...... To Joe Blow it may be a fully blown out osage self bow with river cane arrows..... I really could care less what anyone shoots or what they call it.... Hunt for yourself, because I can promise you, nobody else cares...
Old 01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Tournaments have rules because it's a game, and the rules are usually established to try and level the playing field. Organizers know if you put a guy with a selfbow and rivercane arrows in the same class as the guy with an Olympic style recurve decked out with sights, stabilizer, etc. and carbon arrows, neither one is going to be happy. Obviously one has the advantage, and generally speaking both want to compete with their peers. Trap shoots don't allow just whatever guage shotgun and size shell you want to use, boxing doesn't put a heavyweight against a flyweight.

Sometimes some rules don't make sense to me, but if I don't like it I have a few options: shoot, but not compete; don't shoot there; do the work and organize my own tournament where I can set the rules; or just be thankful that someone has done the work and gone to the expense so I can go and shoot and have a good time.

I choose the last option--I've helped with a lot of tournaments, and that is WORK. Most don't do it for personal gain, and the folks that have the most responsibility generally work their butts off so everyone else can have a good time.

I've also learned through my participation there is no way one set of rules will make everyone happy. Like I said, some rules bug me, and I'm pretty easy going.

Without fail, if the tournament is of any size, there's going to be the following complaints and then some: shots are too long, shots are too close, shots are too open, shots are too brushy, course is too long, course is too short, too many different types/sizes/brands of targets, not enough different targets, not enough water stations, so-and-so is cheating by shooting a light bow and/or gap shooting and/or using a target bow and/or a bow with a machined aluminum riser, etc. etc. etc. They just have to do the best they can and try to please the majority. I know sometimes personal preferances get slipped in, but that's just the way it goes.

I compete, but I'm not serious about it. I'm happy to have a place where I can get together with other archers and have a good time.

Chad
Old 01-30-2007, 11:02 AM

Chad - I think the reason behind the complaints falls to one thing - the goal of the shooter. What it is ? Is it to win ? If it is, he's going to complain about any and everything that doesn't match up well to his strengths.

Me ? I shoot to improve my hunting. If I could shoot broadheads at 3D shoots I think I would. When I 3D I'll take a second shot for fun, and don't care if anyone else does either. Score matters not, in fact I try to take killing shots, I don't care to try and get an X if I can shoot right behind the ribs on a quarter away shot, you know ?

I know what ya mean though
Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I think we (society) as a whole are, for the most part, spoiled. Some kids sports don't have a winner or a looser anymore, and it seems some adults want it to be that way.

I get aggravated sometimes, and it's a paradox for me. On the one hand I'm glad more people are coming to tournaments, but on the other hand some of them really should stay home until they learn to shoot better, or at least accept the fact that they just aren't very good.

A few years ago I was talking to the range manager at a big shoot. He was telling me he'd just gotten a jackhammer cussin from a guy that had just finished the course. The guy had started with a dozen arrows, and had to borrow three more just to finish!

Now I'm no crack shot, and the course was challenging (several tight shots), but it wasn't that hard--I shot all 60 targets withough loosing or breaking one cedar arrow. I don't remember for sure, but I think I shot that course a few times (multi-round tournament--one of the rules I don't care for) and didn't break or loose any.

I shoot for several reasons--one is to improve my skills, but I also like to see where I stand with other shooters, and I enjoy the socializing. I try to hit the marked kills, rather than take what I think would be a kill shot on a live animal. If I can hit where I'm looking, I'm happy, and the best way to know if I can do that or not is shoot at the marked spots.

Up North they have some broadhead shoots, but haven't heard of any in the South. I'd love to try it sometime. Think they usually have paper targets with sand piles for back stops--but on the other hand, with some of the nuts I shoot with, that could be dangerous!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 AM

LOL I can relate to that ! Some guys can't shoot worth a lick

Hey - and I know this is a broken record ......... but PM or post a list of upcoming shoots. I'm committed to making some 3D shoots this year to improve my shooting. Is it Twin Oaks that you like and is somewhat close to me ?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 AM
bigcountry

Stealth come on down and meet me at the Baltimore Trad. Classic. I am only an hour away.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is,it is the same consept but it has changed a little.But it is still the same thing.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 PM

bigcountry I'd love to but I live in Arkansas man !

I've owned Black Widows, Morrisons, Silvertips, Bears, Shakespeare, Pearson, Timberhawk, Checkmate, Adcock (ACS too), Gamemaster, DAS, Horne, Sley, Hummindbird, Acadian Woods, Archery Traditiions, Assenheimneer, Bears Paw, Bob Lee, Fedora, Great Plains, Stewart Multi-Cam, Pronghorn, Valley Traditional ......... geeeeeeeeeesh, I've owned a LOT of bows !

They all seemed to shoot pretty close in speed. I remember a one piece Sley I had that seemed FAST. A Silvertip that seemed FAST. The Acadian Woods seemed the quietest. The ACS the more finicky. The DAS was nice, I didn't like the grip.

Point is ........ I bet there wasn't 5% difference in any of them speed wise, and that includes the old Bear and Pearson and expecially a Shakespeare Necedah and Bear Tigercat I had - both were nice in my hands.

Compare a 1980 compound vs a 2007 compound
Compare a 1980 Bear TD with a 2007 TD recurve of your choice

Any difference in them ?

Quick Reply: Are modern recurves really traditional?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.