Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How come I didn't do this sooner?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:29 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How come I didn't do this sooner?

Who?????? Raz, get your Yankee hind-end down here for the Howard Hill, Jerry Pierce, or TN Classic and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about! Some of the folks we got setting out targets are downright sadistic--sometimes I wonder if they don't have stock in an arrow company. Even the FL state championship was a bugger when I shot it--palmettos ain't as tough as hickory saplings, but they will still turn an arrow! I love it!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM

Okay LBR...you are going 2 for 2.Let me hear it.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Lol--it's easy, and there are two answers. I said my BOW is faster, not my arrows. One way to prove it is chunk it down-range like a spear (unstrung). Aim for a soft spot (pine straw, sand, leaves, high grass, etc.), no harm done. The other way is I can get at least two (usually more, easily) shots off before a compound shooter releases one--and accuarately.

Now that I've divulged my "secrets", I expect you to send me 50% of all themoney you win bettingwith your compound-shooting friends![8D]

My last trick is my "Jean-Claude van Damme" shot, where I shoot my longbow while doing the splits. I'm 6' 2" or 6' 3" (depending on which leg I stand on), well over 300 lbs, and pushing 40. You'll have to come to a tournament to see me do this--I ain't posting a picture. No trick to this one--I'm just limber for a fat boy. Ain't talking about some old man split--I could touch the ground if I did it nekked (ain't doing that either, and sure as heck ain't taking a picture!).

Come to Cloverdale, the TN Classic, the Jerry Pierce Memorial shoot, orthe Howard Hill and I promise you that, unless I'm injured, I'll do it. Worth the trip just for that!

Chad
Old 01-30-2007, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chad, I'm speechless. [:-]

Anyway, I never knew you could get a custom compound. Learn something new everyday I guess. I know you can order custom grips, but not the whole thing.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:06 AM

Chad, did you get the pm i sent you? I have some questions for you. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ain't talking about some old man split--I could touch the ground if I did it nekked (ain't doing that either, and sure as heck ain't taking a picture!).
And we're all eternally greatful for THAT![8D]

Another note about how much traditional stuff costs.... You can buy everything you need. That's one extreme. On the other hand, it's entirely possible to not need to spend a single penny on archery gear.

Get out in the woods, cut wood and let it season. Learn to make cordage from natural materials. Keep the feathers from the turkeys and geese you hunt for making fletchings. Keep the hides from the animals you've taken and make brain tan leather for your quivers, armguards and tabs. Keep the sinews from those critters for sewing thread, bow strings and bow backings. Learn to knap flint for your broadheads or scrounge up some steel and grind them out. Make your own bows, arrows, strings, broadheads.... That's the other extreme.

I enjoy making as much of my own stuff as possible. Often, I find I want something that's not commercially available - or, more often than not, costs a lot more than I have money to spend - so I just make it myself. It's a nice little side hobby to archery.

For instance, I was watching the previews of the 'Digging for the Past" episode about Ghengis Khan (it aired on the History Channel last night) where they showed the Mongol horse archers. I wanted to give the Mongolian thumb release a try, so I made myself a leather thumb ring. Now that I've got a pattern, I'm going to make one from some leftover wood from my longbow's riser - and yes, I made the longbow too. That's how I got leftover wood.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 AM

Wow, thats really cool that you make alot of your stuff by hand. Props to you for having the patience and skill for that on top of what you need for just shooting the trad bows. I've just started to get into making knives. I'm just about ready to start my first one.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:42 AM

what the heck is a "Bowtech?"
Compound manufacturer - dang nice ones, they made an Allegiance or an Alliance or something - wasn'tthat whatyou were talking about ?

Chad - here is my argument. Compounds are much more accurate, they are much shorter ATA, they are much more powerful, they are much faster, their accuracy canreach out to 60-70 yards, very accurately. They are very easy to use, their consistancy is fantastic. Anymore, they're just as quiet.

All the above are pluses when hunting. Being able to shoot yourbow doing the splits, or tossing your unstrung bow downrange at a deer isn't really practical in a hunting situation

A trad bow can pull off a quicker shot. A second shot can be done quicker too.They're lighter mass weight. They don't have as many things on them that can break.

Did I miss much ?

The vast majority of bowhunters use compounds for a reason, and its not because they are superior weapons. Thats not to say that a bowhunter cannot be every bit as succcessful - but the weapoin itsself is a DISADVANTAGE - thats why its mroe difficult, a greater challenge, and the lesser path traveled.

Thats not knocking compound, crossbows, recurves or longbows, I think its simply the way it is and its almost a universal true.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Buster T

what the heck is a "Bowtech?"
The vast majority of bowhunters use compounds for a reason, and its not because they are superior weapons. Thats not to say that a bowhunter cannot be every bit as succcessful - but the weapoin itsself is a DISADVANTAGE - thats why its mroe difficult, a greater challenge, and the lesser path traveled.

Thats not knocking compound, crossbows, recurves or longbows, I think its simply the way it is and its almost a universal true.
I agreed with a lot of what you said there. However, in the right hands, a traditional bow can be just as deadly as a compound bow. I'm not saying that I'm one of those people, but for someone like LBR, I would bet he could outshoot a good number of people using compounds, using one of his trad bows.

That being said, I agree that the compound is a superior weapon, thats the draw (no pun intended) to shooting a trad bow. It's harder, less forgiving. Plus for us simplistic folks, it bring us back to the old days. I've grown up hearing nothing but how much better compounds are better than other bows, and have watched the revolution go from aluminum arrows as the top dog to everyone preaching carbons. So to me shooting trad bows is about seeing things the way they were a long time ago, when my father and grandfather were bowhunting. Its a way for me to connect with a time long ago that I never was able to see, butam now able to at least taste.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 AM

However, in the right hands, a traditional bow can be just as deadly as a compound bow
Absolutely

Many things "make" a bowhunter. First off you have to be a good hunter. You canbe the best shot in the world with any bow of your choice and if you can't get close to deer, you aint going to kill anything.

In many respects, the bowhunt has nothing to do with the kill - the drawing and shooting of the bow is a very small part of the hunt, yet the most critical.

Second off, you have to be a good shot. You can be a bad shot and depend on luck and it'll get you nowhere. You can be the best of hunters, and the worst of shots, and have tag soup.

Then you got people kinda like me. Good hunter, I can get around deer. I practice a lot, and am a good shot. And yet, I have a hard time putting it together crunch time. Funny too ........ I play a lot of basketball and when it comes down to making the game winning play ? I want the ball in my hands. I like the pressure, I handle it well. But the last 2 years has aged me 20 bowhunting []

So for me, I'm making changes for 2007. I have to, for me. I'm going to shoot 3-4 pounds heavier draw weight, and a shorter recurve instead of my 52# 64" longbow. I'm going to 3D more this summer. I'm going to shoot heavier arrows. I'm NOT going to shoot at deer sitting, only standing. Thats alot of changes - but I have to do it to try and recapture the ability to kill deer, something I've seemed to have lost.

I'm buying my Dad's Q2 ....... and will use it if I think I need to. And I'll be taking an easier road, a well traveled road, and the challenge of the hunt will remain pretty much the same, what will change is the challenge of the shot. I can be okay with that too, if thats what I need to do.

Quick Reply: How come I didn't do this sooner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.