Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 How come I didn't do this sooner? >

How come I didn't do this sooner?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How come I didn't do this sooner?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: How come I didn't do this sooner?

ORIGINAL: Buster T

you think bowhunting with a compound is tough ? you aint seen nothing yet .........
I totally disagree. Especially for snap shooting at boar.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah Duc, I got one a short time ago and now I'm bidding on 2 more on e-bay. It doesn't take long. No more peep or no peep questions! LOL. I'm trying to buy one for my wife and one for my nephew. I have to get each of them one before I'm allowed to order a NEW recurve for myself. I have an idea that I'd like a new Chek-Mate Kings Pawn. we'll see.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:12 AM

If trad hunting wasn't harder, everyone would be doing it.

I found the addiction being shooting different bows. Gosh I've must have bought/sold/traded 75-100 bows or more.

I even remember Chad sending me a Hunter II one year to shoot ? Too heavy in the draw wasn't it Chad ? Thats been 4 years ago or more.

I've actually got a Gamemaster coming right now with DAS pads. Will maybe try and get a nice set of modified Hoyt limbs for it. Shooting heavy Graphlex I'm curious what I can do with it.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 AM
bigcountry

If trad hunting wasn't harder, everyone would be doing it.
Yea, you have foryears tried to sell this idea. Not sure why. But it takes all kinds in the world i guess.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think becoming accurate, proficient and consistant is the tough part (bowhunting aside) of traditional archery. But once achieved, I don't think I'd give the bowhunting advantage to the compound especially up to the individual traditional archers effective range.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 AM
bigcountry

I've actually got a Gamemaster coming right now with DAS pads. Will maybe try and get a nice set of modified Hoyt limbs for it. Shooting heavy Graphlex I'm curious what I can do with it.
You ought to buy yourself an allegience. Sounds right up your alley.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:41 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

4 years ago? Man alive, I have trouble most days remembering what I had for breakfast!

Compounds have their advantages, but trad bows do as well. If you want to be hitting the spot the day you get your bow, compounds have the advantage. Compounds are also easier to pull, since you hit the peak weight early on and have massive let-off. And, it's easier to become a fairly decent shot with a compound, thanks to acessories.

However, as BC mentioned, getting off a quick shot is much easier with trad equipment. As I mentioned, there's a lot less to go wrong with the equipment with trad. With a trad bow (generally speaking at least) you don't have to worry about forgetting your release or having it malfunction; you don't have to worry about peep alignment; you don't have to worry about umpteen little things that can get loose and/or move and/or rattle. Some shots that can be taken with trad bows would be very hard if not impossible with a compound. Low light generally isn't a problem. If you damage a string, you just take out your spare. If you cut/break a string, your bow doesn't usually explode into a jigsaw puzzle. I'm sure there's many more.

A lot of folks will never shoot traditional for several reasons. Many just don't think they can shoot a bow with no sights, no let-off, no release--they won't even give it a chance. Some get frustrated when after a dozen arrows they can't peg the bull at 20 yds. Some buy into the Tred Barta bull that it's the "hard" way (go to a big shoot and notice all the kids--LITTLE kids--that haven't figured that part out yet). Some just can't be convinced that they can make a quick, clean kill with such simple equipment, or that a bow with no wheels/cams/etc. that isn't flinging an arrow near 300 fps is adequate equipment for anything larger than a rabbit (never mind that every game animal that's been killed with a rifle has been killed with a bow, including buffalo, black, brown, polar, and grizzly bear, elephant, hippo, etc.). There's not nearly as much money pushing trad bows as compounds either.

The general population is into quick and easy. Take a season that allows rifles, you won't see many shotguns being used--unless it's for birds, then you will see just the opposite. People cry for crossbows to be legalized in archery season because they think a crossbow is easier. Allow certain rifles in muzzleloader season (which has happened here in MS), you won't see many smokepoles in the woods. Etc. etc. etc.

The reason I shoot a longbow, other that I just enjoy it more, is because I got aggravated with compounds. I don't have the patience to double check and deal with everything that could go wrong every time I hit the woods. Lynyrd Skynyrd said it best for me--I'ma simple kind of man.

Chad
Old 01-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

duc.
you will be out looking for one/2/3 this week.just let go and buybuybuy.I put about 1600 into trad this year and now I dont know if I will be able to shoot[:@],my cervical disc are acting up in my neck again.Ive sold both my mathews last week(I hope)because Iam goingtrad all the way(well maybe crossbow this yr)bought a Pro Fusion last week just in case.
These guys are great if you have ?'s,and dont be afraid to ask......Trad is what it is........A Addiction.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 PM

allegience
is that a Bowtech ? I'm buying my Dad's Q2 - don't need a compound any better than that one.

The general population is into quick and easy.
Bingo. And compounds give the average bowhunter the capabilioty to have a fast, quiet shooting bow thats deadly accurate with very little practice.

Thats why I'm buying my Dad's Q2. If by summers end I'm not confident again, if my archery/shooting doesn't improve .......... I'll use it. If the changes I'm making works, I'll stick to my trad bow.

I've twice now toyed with buying a Border - about $950. I've considered ordering a Silvertip - about $1200 for what I'd want. Trad archery is no chearper than shooting compounds !

Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
bigcountry

Q2 would be great for a guy like you. I think you will really like it.

Quick Reply: How come I didn't do this sooner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.