Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New Bow

Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM

Default New Bow

Fred Bear 50# 28 inch draw, I'm a newbie, what else do I need to buy?

Old 01-24-2007, 07:14 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Bow

First thing I'd recommend is some good reading material and/or a video or two. Opinions vary, but I like Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow". I don't agree with everything he says, but it's got some good basic information, and it's easy to read. For a video, Ricky Welch's "Instinctive Archery, Volume II".

Nothing personal against the man, but I don't suggest G. Fred Asbell. He does have some good info., but (in my opinion) he over-complicates some things, and to me his style is very difficult to be consistent with.

Once you get some basic information, you'll know what you need next.

Chad
Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Arrows.

Okay, besides the obvious... Basic equipment. First and foremost, a bow stringer. Much better way to string a bow and a lot safer for you and the bow. Bow square. Gove or tab. Arm guard. Quiver. Spare bowstring, or two.

You'll probably want to get a fletching jig for your arrows. It's hard to find arrows with feather fletchings at local shops any more. Since you can't shoot plastic vanes off the shelf, at least not accurately, you'll need to be able to replace vanes with feathers. You'll probably wind up like most all the rest of us and do nearly all your shopping for traditional supplies on-line.

Assorted things I like to keep with me when I'm shooting or hunting. Dental floss. If I break a serving or my knocking point, I can use the dental floss for an emergency fix. Super Glue gel, to stick a feather back down if it comes loose. One of those spare bowstrings. Butane lighter. I've always got at least one knife with me at all times, but I've come to realize that not everyone is a knife freak.[:-] So, include a pocket knife in this list or, even better, a multitool.

As you go along, you'll figure out what kind of stuff works best for you. So I'm just giving you a starting point.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 AM

Thanks guys, Arthur unless I am naked Ihave a Leatherman Core, Kershaw Leek and KaBar Marine Corps small at all times. Going to Amazon.com right now for the book.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Delete

Edit double post.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, are you still in TX? Edit: You can borrow my copy of " become the Arrow". I may also have arrows for you to try to find the correct spine. I have some 2016s and 2018s as well as some cedar and more cedar on the way. Give me a call. Greg BTW, I guess I'll have to hog hunt alone tonight!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:20 AM

No, back in Cali packin.