Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I'm thinking a recurve is superior. >

I'm thinking a recurve is superior.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I'm thinking a recurve is superior.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I'm thinking a recurve is superior.

Ranger,

Point taken. I believe it comes down to Cabelas' perception of the market and simple economics. Is there a market for traditional bows and accessories? Absolutely. We're a testimony to that fact. Which is the larger market? Compounds or traditional? Apparently, according to their market analysis, it must be the compound market. There must be more people shooting compounds, therefore they are supplying to meet that demand. If there are more people shooting compounds, the human resource pool from which to draw skews toward competency in compound bows and equipment. We by nature, tend to discuss things we are either interested in or know something about. Therefore, if Cabelas is hiring people with experience in the compound area, they would tend to lean towards wanting to assist potential customers interested in that equipment. They shouldn't avoid the traditional equipment like the plague... that's just bad business practice. If the items are in your product portfolio, you better have at least a minimal amount of knowledge about said equipment.
Anyway, this lack of knowledge and products opens the door for smaller businesses to fill that niche. Again... just my two cents.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:17 PM
bigcountry

Main reason I started shooting longbow was for boar hunting. I was using a compound but getting drawed and anchored and aimed, and that son of a gun about ran over me. I could have had an arrow off and climbed a tree by the time I got the shot off. Also boar hunting, they tend to get bayed in dark cover, and a peep didn't work for me. But wiht a longbow, I got both eyes open and easier to see.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got my recurve for the same reason bigcountry. To hunt hogs. It can get up close and personal and on many occasions I just don't have time to get ready with my compound. I won't hang up the Diamond yet but I won't be spending as much time with it.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you're right on the money muley!

Huh, I can't believe the moderators moved it. Maybethey should change the forumtothe COMPOUND BOWHUNTING forum. [:@]
Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my 2 recurves and longbow from Sportsman Wharehouse.I went there after the cabelas deal.when I went to the Archery counter at S.W they were more then happy to help me out with whatever ? I had,and 3 out of the 4 guys shot both or all 3 types of bows.When I go back there the 1st thing they say to me is HOWS the shooting going,then its general conversation......Thats why I go Back to Sportsman Wharehouse.I also do alot of buying from 3rivers.Now that PASTEW has opened his shop.I will buy from him too.He has helped me out alot with tuneing arrows and such.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you.I think that it would be better.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:21 AM

muley69

just list out the advantages of a compound vs a trad bow

compound = more power
compound = flatter trajectory & faster arrows
compound = more accuracy
compound = ability to draw more pounds
compound = ability to draw and hold
compound = ability to draw with the animal NOT in your presence
compound = short & compact

recurve = no parts to tune/tweak
recurve = more ability to maneuvre/adjust for shots
recurve = lighter to carry

A compound is a far better weapon to kill animals with, no doubt, can't even be debated.

However, people don't shoot trad bows soley for a better chance to kill animals, they shoot them to better their HUNT

JMHO

Old 01-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think the Sportsman's Warehouse here even carries traditional equipment. Compounds... crossbows. The only recurve I saw was for kids. Glad you received excellent service Ranger.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

B O G. The Sportsmans in Fargo ND.carries the Martin line and some PSE.They also carry Cajun ceder arrows,Selway,Zwicky,Snuffer,gloves, ect.they have about the best selection of trad stuff around(except for bows,Limited).
Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

compound = ability to draw with the animal NOT in your presence
Which has always been the Number One argument against allowing CROSSBOWS in bow season.

Following the remainder of your logic, Buster, a rifle is a better choice for killing animals because it's far more powerful and has a flatter trajectory than ANY bow, besides the fact you can hold and aim it forever and you don't have to draw in the presence of the animal.

I could also mention the fact that the compound's flatter trajectory, greater power and faster arrows is what encourages far, far too many people to take shots that are actually well beyond their effective shooting distance. Which causes a huge increase in wounded and lost animals.

I can point you to a long term study done by Oklahoma State University at the McAlester, OK Army Ammunition Depot which shows the wound loss ratio for compounds is about 22% where the wound loss ratio for traditional bows is less than 2%. That's one of the reasons the Depot finally instituted a traditional only policy for the annual bow hunt on the property.

Of course, it's not the compound's fault. It's the lack of discipline and/or lousy ethics of a great many of the guys who use compounds.

Traditional bows don't give someone false confidence that they can take hero shots. The equipment itself pretty much automatically enforces shot selection discipline.

Compounds are NOT better for killing animals. Just different. Compounds allow for higher hunter success rates, but only because traditional guys are forced to let a higher percentage of animals walk, and because they are far less likely to take hero shots they know are beyond their capabilities.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking a recurve is superior.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.